Monday, November 9, 2015

Snow Canyon Half Marathon 2015

I ran another fun race this weekend.  I ran the Snow Canyon Half Marathon for the second time.  This was my first half marathon last year and running it this year was a much better experience.  I was a little leery about running this race again because I was not happy with my experience last time.  Then my good friend, Trista, called me and said she was going to be in town visiting from Albuquerque that weekend and wanted to run the race.  She convinced me to run it with her and her husband, Andrew.  I am so glad I did because it was a really great race and it was so exciting to see Trista again and run with her.  Here we are showing off our finisher medals.

This race was much better than last year mostly because the weather was amazing for the whole race.  It was a perfect 45-50 degrees, the sun was shining and not a rain cloud or head wind in sight (unlike last year).  OK and I was much better trained.  
Trista said she wanted to run a time of 1:40.  I just looked at her like she was crazy and told her I would see her at the finish line eventually...  Then I thought, "Why not try for it?"  My previous best time in a half marathon was 1:51 so I would have to knock off 10 minutes!    

Well I ran my hardest and fastest and I did it!  I finished with a time of 1:43 (7:55 min/mile) my new personal record for half marathons!  I was so excited about my time.  The great thing about it is I really felt good during the whole race.  Even though I was running a lot faster I did not feel any more fatigued than usual.  I was happy to beat my previous PR by 8 minutes and my previous time on this course by 19 minutes!  Trista came in about a minute ahead of me with a time of 1:42 and her husband killed us all with a time of 1:36.  We all got PR's and loved the race.  

Unfortunately, the weather here in Hyrum is getting a little too cold for running so this might be my last race for a while.  Probably until next spring.  Oh well what a good race to end on.  In good news though, I accomplished my 2015 fitness New Year's Resolution.
After training for and running one full marathon, 4 half marathons, a 15K, some 10K's and 5K's, I met and exceeded my goal of running 1,000 miles in 2015!  I was so excited to reach that 1,000 mile mark.  It has been a long and hard goal but one I have looked forward to achieving. 

No comments: