Monday, May 9, 2016

No Teeth and Graduation

This weekend Colby and I travelled down to St. George.  We made the trip so Colby could go to the dentist.  I took him to a dentist up here because I knew he had some cavities that needed to be filled but I was not excited about how this dentist wanted to go about filling them.  Colby is a great dental patient.  He doesn't squirm or cry or anything while the dentist is working on him.  This is why I was surprised that the dentist wanted us to take Colby to a surgical center and have him totally knocked out in order for the dentist to do the work.  I told him that was not necessary because Colby has had fillings before and was totally fine with the laughing gas.  The dentist said that even with conscious sedation we would still have to go to the surgical center and we could not be in the room with Colby while the work was going on.  I was not at all okay with this so we called our dentist in St. George that did Colby's fillings before and asked if he would do the work instead.  To me it was worth the gas money and drive to have a dentist do the work how we wanted and we knew he would do a great job.  So Colby and I made the trip to St. George. 

On the way there, Colby started complaining his front tooth was hurting and he thought it was ready to fall out.  I didn't think anything of it because Colby is always saying he wants to loose a tooth.  When we got to my parents house and was getting ready for bed, I looked at the tooth he said was hurting and noticed a bump on the gum above it.  I though oh great I hope that tooth is not abscessed.  Luckily we were heading to the dentist the next day.

At the dentist we found out that sure enough, Colby's front tooth had abscessed and needed to be pulled.  I still don't know how it got abscessed but we think Colby must have bumped it hard on something because there was a little crack in the tooth.  Colby did amazing at the dentist he held really still and let the dentist do his work.  We decided to split the work into two visits because of the abscess and luckily an appointment was available for the very next week!  That never happens!  To top it off, I was already planning on coming down that weekend for my friend's wedding. 

The dentist was worried that Colby would feel bad for loosing a tooth and I told him Colby would be so excited.  So we left the dentist with one silver tooth, a filling, and a missing front tooth.  Colby could not have been happier to loose a tooth.  He had been waiting his whole life for this he said!  Colby was also excited about the silver tooth because Emily has two silver teeth and he kept asking me when he could get a silver tooth.  I told him a silver tooth wasn't really something you want but he was excited anyway.  
I don't think any kid has been as excited to loose a tooth as Colby was.  He showed everyone his tooth and was so proud of it.  

When we got home, he showed Russell, Emily, and Logan and they were all so happy for Colby!  To top it off, the Tooth Fairy left him a gold dollar and let him keep the tooth!

Also while we were in St. George, it was the Dixie College graduation.  We were able to attend both graduations and see Haley graduate with her Bachelor's Degree and Chelsie graduate with her Associates Degree.

Even though graduations aren't the most exciting things to attend, graduating is awesome.  Congratulations Haley and Chelsie!  Way to go!!

We were happy to attend the graduations and support these two graduates before heading back home.

No comments: