Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Happy Birthday

One more reason to celebrate this week was my birthday!  OK so turning 31 is not the most exciting thing in the world but we had a good time anyway.  We spent the day just hanging out at home and picking cherries from our neighbor's tree.  In the morning Russell went and helped another neighbor clean out his yard and came home with a concrete ring they were just going to throw out.  We decided it would make a great fire pit for the backyard so Russell set to work digging a hole and putting in a fire pit for my birthday.  When he was done, he invited a bunch of our friends over for S'mores that night.  

For dinner I wanted Navajo Tacos but I didn't know how to cook them because our Camp Chef and Dutch Ovens were on the mountain with our trailer.  Then, Ta Da, we had a fire pit.  We borrowed a cast iron skillet from the neighbor that gave us the fire pit and Russell cooked the scones on an open fire!  We should have been pioneers!  Ok not really.  The food turned out so good. 
That night at around 8 we had our friends come over for S'mores.  It was fun to get together with friends to celebrate my birthday.  We all had a good time chatting and cooking marshmallows on our fire.  My visiting teacher gave me a bucket of Tootsie Pops with a sign that said "30 Sucks!"  I laughed so hard and said well I am sure 31 sucks too.  


See our awesome fire pit.  I think it turned out pretty good.  We are excited to use it more often this summer.  

After everyone went home, Calen and Rochelle treated us to another firework show.  
We mostly did sparklers with the kids but there were also a few flowers and other crazy things we shot off too.  One type were these flying ones.  You would throw them and they would fly into the air and disappear.  The first one we did, we didn't really know what would happen so we threw it in the air and it shot off right toward our house.  In fact I think it hit our fence.  We were so shocked we all went scrambling to our fence to see if there was any damage or flames or something but we didn't see anything.  We decided these fireworks are meant for the ground.

At the library a few days ago the kids made these cool glow bugs out of water bottles and  tiny glow-sticks.  They decided tonight would be the perfect time to let them glow.  

Like I said before, we picked a bunch of cherries from our neighbor's tree.  We picked three shopping bags full and there were still a ton on the tree.  So on my birthday, I decided to have  little "pity" party for myself and pit all of those cherries.  It took quite a while and my hands were stained red like I had murdered someone.  But the cherries tasted so good.

In the end, those three bags of cherries turned into 12 pints of jam, three cookie sheets of fruit leather, and  Ziploc bag of dried cherries.  I really should have made more fruit leather because it turned out so delicious.

Another birthday present/Russell's birthday present/ anniversary present we got was a new truck.
We call him "Big Red."  It is the same year as our truck but it is a 2500 HD and four-wheel drive.  It also only has 57,000 miles on it rather than 130,000 on our other truck.  It was a grandpa truck that hardly ever got driven so we are hoping it will be a good truck for us and last us for a while.

Happy Birthday to me!

No comments: