Monday, August 21, 2017

Chemo #3... Cancer Journey Part 10

Chemo round number three is in the books.  This round was probably the easiest so far on my body.  Yeah!

While the poison was going in, Russell and I had some fun taking selfies.  Russell was emailing Tyler so we decided to send him some pictures of us too.  I really like the shirt I am wearing.  It says "Heck, yes, they're fake. The real ones tried to kill me!"  Every time I wear it people comment and laugh about it.  Hey if you are going to have this, you might as well find some humor in it, right.

While we were at the hospital, the kids were having a blast at the Dennis's watching the solar eclipse with the neighborhood kids. 

August 21st was a total solar eclipse.  Apparently the only one we will see in our lifetime.  I don't know how this could be true because I have seen at least 3 solar eclipses in my lifetime and I am not even that old.  I guess this one was special because it was a complete solar eclipse.  Anyway, while Mitzi, our nurse, was mixing up my drugs and waiting for the lab results, Russell and I were able to go outside for a few minutes and see the eclipse.  Mitzi let us borrow her protective glasses and it was pretty cool to see the sun be covered.  We also did it the old fashioned way by looking at the shadow through some holes in paper.  We were not outside when the total eclipse happened but our friends told us that it got darker outside and the temperatures dropped probably 10 degrees.  It was amazing.
I found this cool picture of the eclipse on the Internet.  It is probably photo shopped but it looked cool to me.  As there always is when something big goes down, there were rumors of the world coming to an end during the eclipse.  I never believe these things because nobody knows when the end is coming so I just can't worry about that.  This time though, I was really hoping the world would not end during the eclipse because I was getting chemo!  I did not want to go out like that.  I also didn't want it to happen because I was away from my kids!  But of course, thankfully the world did not end.
So with this treatment, I had many of the same symptoms.  Thankfully I was not sick but I was just tired again.  Once again the worst side effects were the loss of energy, the loss of my taste buds, and the cotton mouth.  My fingernails did hurt quite a bit this time too so I tried to help them out by sticking them in cold rice.  This is supposed to stimulate the nerves in my fingers and help prevent neuropathy.  The kids thought this was the best thing ever.  They sat by me and just played in the cold rice.  Charlotte loved it the most and made the biggest mess.  She would grab rice and then shake her hands and the rice everywhere!  It was so much fun.  I don't know if the rice has helped but I guess it can't hurt.  

One thing I did notice this time is the effects of chemo brain.  The night of my treatment was also Back to School night.  Because I am the PTA Treasurer, I had to help with the Night as well as taking orders and selling T-shirts.  For some reason, this was really hard for me.  I could not concentrate or even do simple math without thinking about it for a minute.  This was really the first time I had noticed the effects of chemo brain.  I made it through though but it sure was annoying.  I really hope this side effect goes away and my mind gets quicker again.

Well chemo number three is done.  Only one more to go.  We are almost there...

No comments: