Thursday, June 28, 2018

Scout Camp

YM's Scout camp. Camp Disciple was held up Logan Canyon this year. It was the first church sponsored camp for our stake. I was only planning on going for a day and coming home for work so Tiffany could get to her Relay for Life, but Brother Rich came up to me and said they really needed help with a medical person. The other people he got backed out last minute, so we rearranged our schedules and I made it to camp all but one day. We all met at Tyson Booth's house in the afternoon and we piled into cars and headed up the canyon. Once we got up to camp, it was fun to watch the boys set up camp. We had to keep them focused on the task at hand or it would have taken forever. It is crazy to see the difference in years with scouts. When I was a scout I do not remember having issues with not knowing what needed to be done. The first day was relaxing and playing around until it was time for the fireside. 

Once the fireside was over it was down to camp and off to bed. Ha ha, ya right, they would  have stayed up all night if we were not forcing them to bed around midnight. Some of the leaders and boys wondered where my tent was. I told them it was a nice rain proof room with four walls and a  mattress. They said that was not fair. Well the perks of being part of the staff and Brother Rich needing me in the cabin just in case something happened.

I went home and worked one day and came back up with these two yahoo's to finish the rest of the camp. It is awesome they are getting old enough I can take them on these kind of trips. The boys were excited to go and play on the mountain.
 My job was easy, I got to walk around and do what ever I wanted as long as I was available if something happened. So the boys and I went down to the river and checked it out and found a great area to cool off. I showed the boys how to use their hats to catch water and put it on their heads to cool off. This was a hit. Every time one of them got hot they came up to me and said, "Dad, let's go dip our hats in the water." They were great kids the whole camp and they had a blast. We got to help with service projects and when we went to check in at the cabin, Sister Rich had a great time with the boys telling stories and playing games with them.

The funnest activity they both did was carving. Steve Coppieters brought a bunch of soap for the carving merit badge and Colby and Logan both got one to carve. Colby's was amazing. He carved a turtle by looking at Steve's turtle. Logan just had fun carving with a knife. It was the first time I got to teach him how to use a knife and carve, so he just wanted the knife and to carve. Colby even found a really soft wood that he carved the center out of and he thought it was the coolest thing ever.

We had really good food and fun camp fires at night both days. The boys loved the fire and eating smores. The picture above is of Colby's stick he hollowed out. Each morning they had an opening exercises and a flag ceremony up above camp, so we had to trek our chairs up and down the road every morning and evening. During the night the boys played with the scouts. They played football and night games and had fun laughs with them around the fire.

The last day of camp was a fun day for Logan. There was the fire bucket with water in it to put out the fire if needed. Logan decided to make camp soup with it. He found everything he could to put in the bucket. Some of the boys even helped him make it. He was so excited to make soup. Thank goodness he was running around staying busy because once he sat down he was out. 
Logan played so hard and did not want to admit he was tired. So he found himself a bag of pretzels and before he could get the one off his finger he was a sleep. What a great picture for the end of a great scout camp. I am sure glad I had two little buddies with me up at camp for company. They were bummed we had to leave and head home.  We really had a good time with the scouts.

No comments: