Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Cub Scout Day Camp

Colby is really enjoying Cub Scouts.  He has been in Scouts for a few months now and just went to his first Cub Scout Day Camp.  I was able to go with him and help the leaders with all of the boys.  We had a fun time together.

The Scouts went to Camp Keisel near Huntsville.  The theme for the Scout Camp was Jurassic Park so the boys were chased by a T-Rex!
Luckily the Scout leaders over the camp were able to wrangle the T-Rex away from the kids.  

The boys enjoyed many different activities while at Scout Camp.  

The learned how to tie knots, shoot bows and arrows and BB guns, and cast fishing poles.  They also participated in an obstacle course, and a Dino dig for dinosaurs.  We also went on a nature hike and learned a lot about the plants in the area.  

One of the favorite activities was the boat ride.  Unfortunately I did not get any pictures of the boating because I was too afraid of getting my phone drenched.  Luckily I left it behind because I was pretty wet after getting out of the boat.  We split the boys into two boats.  The other two leaders took five of the boys while I took the other six.  I thought the boys would just paddle me out in the water and I wouldn't have to actually work.  Yeah that was a mistake.  The boys had no idea how to paddle and work together so we kept just going in circles and it took us forever to get away from the shore.  Finally I told them all to stop and I paddled them out in to the open water.  Let's just say a boat with five wiggly 8-year-old boys is a lot harder to paddle than a kayak.  We did have a good time though and we splashed the other boys and leaders in their boat.  In turn, they splashed us a lot!  Because I was the only one that could paddle, we did not get away very quickly.  It was so fun.  

In between the activities, the boys learned a new game of tag and played it over and over throughout the day.  They loved everything about camp.
Their favorite part of the day though seemed to be lunch!  We had to leave really early in the morning in order to drive down to the Scout Camp.  Because of this, the boys' breakfast at 6:00 am did not last until noon when it was lunch time.  They kept asking us if they could eat yet.  Finally it was lunch time and they were so glad!  

We had a lot of fun at camp and we all enjoyed the craziness of the boys.  Some of the crazy rubbed off onto the leaders too.  After the final flag ceremony, the T- Rex was captured and we were safe to leave the camp. 
By the time we left the canyon, all of the boys in my van were asleep!  The ride home was so quiet and peaceful!  They were so worn out but they had a great time.

No comments: