Friday, July 31, 2020

Fly the Coop

Russell and I love riding our bikes together so much that we signed up for the third race in the St. George Virtual Race Series. We signed up for the biking division again and got started on another 200 miles for the month.  This race was called "Fly the Coop." 
This month we rode all over the valley.  This picture is of us up the canyon near Porcupine Reservoir.  We love discovering new areas on our bikes.

Another ride we rode all over Logan City.  We started at our house and rode all over the town discovering new bike trails along the way.

We had no idea that there were paved bike trails in Logan but we found them.  We need to take the kids and their bikes on these trails because they were really nice.

We also conquered Blacksmith Fork Canyon on our bikes.  This has always been a goal of ours because we have been afraid of the wind.  Well we achieved our goal twice this month and rode to Hardware Ranch and back on two different occasions.  The first time we battled gale force head winds the entire time we rode up hill.  We were beat but the ride back down the canyon was pretty awesome.  We got going pretty fast.  The next time was totally opposite.  This time we fought the wind going downhill so we still got a good workout.  This is a nice road bike ride though.  I love riding and running in the canyon.
Our peak ride of the month was when we rode to Idaho!  It is 30 miles from our house to the Idaho border and Franklin, ID.  After riding to Arizona while we were in St. George last month, we made it a goal to ride to the other end of the state and make it to Idaho.  We finally did it!  This was our longest ride yet.  The out and back ride totaled 60 miles!  It was a pretty nice ride and relatively flat.  But after that many miles, we were ready for a nap when we got home.  It took as a little less than 4 hours.  I am glad our neighbor, Cyrita, was willing to come to our house at 5:30 am and watch the kids.  We were excited to achieve our goal.
We finished our 200 miles for the Fly the Coop race by riding to our local food truck, "The Coop!"  We were hoping this picture would win us a prize in the race but it didn't...  Oh well.  

We ended the month with 261 miles.  We placed 4th and 5th in our age group this month but that's okay we still had fun together.  Too bad I had a birthday and turned 35 because I was put into the next age group.  If I was still in the 30-34 age group, I would have won first place again.  It stinks getting old...

A few weeks after the race, we received our swag in the mail.
Because I participated in all three of the virtual races in the series, I received an additional medal and shirt.  Here I am posing with all of my medals earned over the summer:

This has definitely been an eventful summer.  I definitely pushed myself to do more physically than I have before.  These races definitely pushed me to new limits. Over the last three months I have ran 400 miles, and biked close to 600 miles. Thank you St. George Races for the challenges!

I am not the only one that achieved their physical goals this summer.  Emily's physical goal was to run a 5K this summer.  On July 3rd, she did it!

She trained so hard but unfortunately because of COVID-19, all the races were cancelled. So we decided to do a virtual race instead. Together we completed the Besties Virtual 5K. We earned these awesome medals that connect like a friendship necklace.   It is so awesome to see the kids achieve their goals and love how they feel about themselves when they do.  Good job Emily! You are amazing!!

The boys have also been having a blast riding their bikes outside.

Our neighbor boys set up this ramp for their bikes and skateboards and Logan and Colby had to try it too.  They got so much air going off this jump.  They loved flying and looked so awesome doing it!  I loved doing things like this when I was a kid so I am glad they do too.

No comments: