Sunday, January 2, 2022

Welcome 2022

 Welcome 2022! I don't know what to expect from this new year but I really hope it is a good one.  I love new years because it always feels like a new start or time for a good change.  I have some goals for this new year but more importantly, I hope to do some good things this year.  I want to change for the better.  President Nelson recently posted on social media his suggestions for resolutions for the new year  This is what he said:
I don't know if you can read all that because it turned out kind of small but I thought it was very prophetic and what I needed to hear!  He listed three things we should resolve to do this year and I am going to do them.  First he says to resolve to strengthen your spiritual foundation.  I am going to do this by continuing to read the scriptures and church magazines.  I hope to read the entire Old Testament this year as well as study the Come, Follow, Me lessons with the family.  I am going to be better at praying.  My struggle with praying is I feel like I have nothing important to say until I really need something.  I know this is just my insecurities coming out and I hope to overcome that.  Finally, I want to attend the temple more often.  I have not been to the temple in almost 2 years except for Cambree's wedding.  I want and need to change this.  Because of the Covid restrictions, we have to make appointments to go to the temple now.  While I do not like this, it may be good for me in that when I make an appointment, I am making a commitment.  My major goal this year though is to learn how to do family history and take my own names to the temple.  The problem is I have no idea where to start.  

The second thing President Nelson suggests it that we resolve to be kind to others.  This is something I definitely need to work on.  I have a bad habit of judging people before I really get to know them.  I need to work on that.  I also want to be more outgoing and talk to people again.  Covid has really made me a hermit. I have always been introverted but Covid has made it worse.  I did not mind being required to stay away from people and now it has become so easy to stay home and not have to interact with people.  I didn't realize how bad I had gotten until I went to a Relief Society activity and did not know anyone or even really talk to anyone.  This needs to change.  I also need to be kinder to my kids and show more compassion to them and not yell so much.

Finally, President Nelson suggest we resolve to be resolute.  This means to put for the effort to accomplish these goals.  These are some difficult life changing goals but something I feel I need to do.  President Nelson says we will come up short sometimes but out efforts will help us wax strong.

These are some good goals.  I also want to get back into running and bike riding.  That has always been a good stress reliever for me and I think the reason I struggle with the things I mentioned above is because of stress.  

Russell said his main goal this year was to not get sick anymore.  I totally agree.  We threw out all of the junk food from Christmas are going to eat healthier from now on.  He also wants to ride in Lotoja bike race again. 

As for the kids, I really want them to gain a testimony of Jesus Christ and the gospel.  I know this will land a lot on me to teach them but it will be worth it.  Elder Cook said "We can raise righteous, hopeful children anywhere in the world if they have a firm foundation in the Savior."  He says we do this by heeding the council in 2 Nephi 25:26 that says "We talk of Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ,... that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."  All I need to do is talk about Christ and the gospel in our everyday conversations!  I also want them to be kinder to each other and other people.  

Here's to a new year with lots of new goals and resolutions.  It should be a good year!

No comments: