Sunday, September 25, 2022

More Mt Bike Races

More mountain bike races!  This time we were in Richfield at the dirt bike courses there.  We made a trip out of this race and drove down with the trailer and all of the bikes.  At the course, there was a designated camping area we stayed at.  Because we arrived early, we were able to get a really good spot right next to the course.  We could watch the race right from our trailer.  The day before the race, Russell and Emily were able to do a pre-ride and ride the course to practice.  The boys really wanted to ride with them but were not allowed because they were not on the team or a coach.  The morning of the race, we all walked Emily to the starting line to cheer her on.
At the starting line they called our numbers to line up and since I moved up a few places at my last race my call number was 26 this time.

After the count down we were off.  The beginning was super dusty with all of riders.  I was pretty much riding blind for a minute hoping that there wasn't a bump or something in the way.  As you can tell from the picture below.  Luckily the beginning stretch was straight and flat.
This course was probably my favorite because it was pretty flat so it was super nice.  During the race there were some small hills and some different turns.

On the end loop there were some tabletops (small hills) that I had to get a lot of speed on to get up them.  On the last tabletop I petaled fast to the top and sprinted to the end.
During the race it was super dusty and my camel back leaked a little and as you can tell from the picture below I got quite dirty.  Since the race was close to Grandma and Grandpa Morwood's property they came to see me race.  Tyrel and Jack also raced on this course the week before me.

The last race of the season for Emily was at Mantua.  This was another good course and one that Emily and her team had used a lot to practice.  This gave them a little bit of an advantage on the other teams because they knew the course.
At the race it was really cold.  This course was not quite my favorite because of the hills and switchbacks. Close to the beginning of the course there was a steep hill and then quite a bit of switchbacks.  Whenever I ride this course I crash at least once and I did today too.  The trail was fun, in the middle of the course the trail went straight then it turns to a small switchback and did that a few times.

On the course closer to the end there is a small switchback that kind of blends in with shadows that I wrecked on but I got back and kept riding.  This race course there were a lot of places were people were able to go on the side of the trail and cheer for us.  It was fun to see Mom and Dad and all the kids go from place to place to meet me and cheer me on throughout the race.

On this race I placed 31st and got a time of 35 minutes.  This sadly was my last race of the season.  These races have been super fun and I have improved so much at riding.  I can't wait until next year to race more!

This has been a really fun but short season.  Emily has learned so much about biking and has become so much more confident on her bike since the beginning of the summer.  The high school team members will have one more race in Manti before the State Finals race in St. George.  Good luck to the rest of the team!

No comments: