Monday, January 18, 2010

My Latest Projects...

My friend, Trista, referred me to these fun websites that give you ideas for crafts and homemade gifts. I have been in a pretty crafty mood lately so I decided to check them out. I found two really cute ideas that looked pretty easy so I decided to go for it and make them. The first one is a Crayon Roll:
This is my finished product! I think it turned out really good, if I do say so myself. The roll holds 16 crayons and rolls up small so it can easily fit in a bag for travel or church. Emily loves pulling the crayons out and throwing them on the ground; she thinks that is pretty funny.

The crayon roll was really easy to make. I made three of them in one night. All you need is two pieces of fabric 5 x 16.5 inches (for the outside and inside), one 6 x 16.5 inch piece of fabric folded in half for the pockets, interfacing, ribbon, and rick rack. Put it all together and...VOLA!!.. a crayon roll. For a better tutorial check out this website... http://www.skiptomylou.org/2007/04/25/on-a-roll/




The next project was a little more work but still fun and it also turned out very cute. Last weekend, Russell had a clinical up at the U of U hospital in Salt Lake so we stayed over at my sister's house in Fillmore. While Russell was at his clinical, Lacie and I made "Cozy Car Caddies" for our kids.

These cute little packs hold 6 matchbox cars and inside there is a little road the cars can drive on. You make them out of an old pair of jeans. (But don't use Wranglers because that denim is tougher than regular jeans so it is really hard to sew around. We found this out the hard way unfortunately, but the pack still turned out cute.)

When the pack is folded up it looks like this. We appliqued this little car onto the front and used Velcro to fasten it.

This is the outside of the pack. We used white piping around the edges to give it a finished look.

The inside... complete with cars on the road. The road is made of gray and yellow felt, I used a flannel print for the background, and the pockets are denim.

The last step was to paint the numbers on the pockets. This was cool because I cut the stencils out of freezer paper then ironed them onto the fabric and painted. Then the freezer paper peeled right off. We definitely had fun making these packs. I know you are probably thinking " Tiffany, you have a girl not a boy!" Well girls can play with cars too. In fact, Emily loves driving cars and saying VROOM with her lips. If you would like a tutorial on how to make these check out this website... http://homemadebyjill.blogspot.com/2009/12/cozy-car-caddy-tutorial.html
I have enjoyed making these projects. I am planning on making all of our Christmas gifts for next year, so I am starting now. My next projects are going to be a felt Mr. Potato Head and a Quiet Book for church. Wish me luck because these might be hard especially the Quiet Book.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Too cute! Don't delete this post because I didn't take notes and I want to make at least one of each!

The Nielson Bunch said...

Tiff, I love them. They turned out sooo cute! I really need to make Jaydee one of those crayon rolls. Thanks again for you and Russells help on my table.