Saturday, November 24, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  It is so nice to get together with family and realize all of the things we have to be thankful for in this crazy life.  The funny thing is that the things we are most thankful for are the things we take for granted the most.  At least it is that way in my case.  I don't know where I would be without my family and those I love.  I am so thankful for them.  I am also thankful to be alive and healthy and to know the truths of the Gospel.  I have truly been blessed. 

We started off our Thanksgiving traditions this year by helping my mom make pies:
Emily loved helping Grandma.  Even though my mom pretty much had everything made by the time we got there to help, she still saved one or two pies to roll out while we were there so Emily and Colby could help.  They were good little chefs. 

My family had Thanksgiving at my parents house.  Terral was the only one not there because she was up north at her in-laws for Thanksgiving this year.  We all had a good time eating and eating and then eating some more before it was time for pie, pie and more pie.  We were all stuffed.  Afterward, the kids went outside to run off their food and energy while the adults cleaned up, took naps and just chatted.  Then the grandkids convinced my dad to set up the volleyball net and they all played a big game of Volleyball.  Well they had a good time but the boys claimed the girls cheated and the girls claimed the boys were poor sports.  It was so funny to hear then talk about it. 

At 7 pm it was time to hit the stores for Black Friday.  I made Russell go with me this year because we were getting a big present and there was no way I was fighting for it in my current condition.  Russell was amazed at how many people were at the store and the lines and fights and everything that Black Friday entails.  Russell ended up being like second in line for the big present so he got his ticket and then came to help me with the rest.  We finally made it out of Wal-Mart alive and Russell went to pick up the kids and go home while I continued shopping with my sisters until I finally gt home at 5 the next morning.  It was a long night!  We weren't involved in any fights but Jess did see one guy get trampled at the movie section in Wal-Mart.  She said that when they said go everyone pushed in so hard that the whole display case collapsed and the older guy was caught up in it and trampled.  Poor old guy.  Our other funny thing we saw was someone was sleeping outside the door to JCPenney at 4 am and JCPenney didn't even have a sale our even look like it was opening for a few hours.  We said we hope that person got what they wanted for a good price because we would never sleep out. 

That next day (Friday), we just chilled at home for a while and then went over to Russell's parents for another Thanksgiving feast.  Emily had been over helping Grandma Farnsworth get ready for the dinner by help make the place mats and place settings.  They made way cute little turkeys out of apples and gumdrops and Emily even assigned the seats placing herself right next to Aunt Traci and totally away from Russell and me.  We thought that was pretty funny but unfortunately for Emily we still made her eat her dinner!

After our second Thanksgiving dinner, we headed to the Temple to see the Christmas lighting.  We got the times mixed up though and got there about a half hour late so the program was over and we stepped onto the temple grounds just as the lights were turning on.  So I guess you could say that was perfect timing!  We walked around the temple grounds admiring all of the beautiful lights and even took a few pictures. 
 


Emily and Colby loved seeing the lights and especially love seeing the baby Jesus and listening to the Nativity story.  It was a very fun night and a good weekend.  Now it officially time to get ready for Christmas.  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: