Wednesday, August 24, 2016

First Day of School

I can't believe the summer is almost over and that school has started again!  It seems like they just got out for summer break.  Well the kids were so excited to start school this year.  They hardly slept the night before!
Emily will be in Second Grade this year and Colby will start Kindergarten!  I can't believe how big they are getting.
Colby could not wait to go to school and was looking forward to it all summer long.  He has been wanting to go to school since last year actually...

Colby is in Mrs. Murdock's afternoon Kindergarten so doesn't go to school until after lunch but that doesn't mean he sleeps in.  No, he is the first one up and dressed for school in the morning.  Then he has to wait "forever" to go to school.  I probably should have put him in the morning class except he wanted to walk home from school with Emily so he got afternoon.

Emily is in Mrs. Nielsen's second grade class.  She was excited to start school but she was also sad that all of her friends from last year were in a different class.  Russell and I told her she would make some new friends or she could play with her other friends are recess.  She is still doing well in school and excelling in reading.  This year we really need to focus on her math skills so we have started doing flash cards and other things to help.  So far she loves school.

Logan could not be left out of the "First-Day-of -School" pictures so he put on his new "school" shirt and wanted his picture taken too.  He gets to be the only kid at home while the other kids are at school.  At least for a few more weeks until the new baby comes.  We have fun playing trains and taking naps!  We also love playing "I Spy" while walking home from the school after dropping Colby off.



These three knot heads sure do keep me on my toes but I would not trade them for anything!  They are growing up too fast and I wish they would stay this way forever.  I can't believe we will be adding another little one into this mix in a few weeks.  We can't wait to meet her.  Everyday the kids ask when the baby will come and I have to tell them I don't know but soon.  I wonder if she will be as crazy as these three?
Everyday we have walked to and from school.  It really gives Logan and me some exercise because we make the 1-mile round trip three times a day.  So we walk 3 miles a day. (You would think that would help get the baby here faster but no luck...)  First we walk Emily to school in the morning:

We send her off to her class and turn around and walk home.  Then after lunch, we walk Colby up to school for afternoon kindergarten.
We drop him off and walk back home.  Then after school we walk back up to pick the kids up and walk home.  We are getting our exercise until the baby comes.  Soon we will just let them walk home on their own with their friends though.  

See that smile on Colby's face?  Yeah he loves kindergarten.  He came home after the first day and said that was the "funnest thing ever!"  He told me he was pretty excited to go to school.  He is also a sponge and is just soaking in everything he hears and learns.  He comes home and tells me the things and words he has learned.  I told him to make his bed the other day and he said, "I know why we have to do our work.  Its because it is our responsibility."  He said he learned about being responsible at school.    I said that's right and he went in and made his bed!  I about died! (Thank you kindergarten!  I have been trying to teach that his whole life!)  We just have little conversations like that about the things he is learning.  It is great.  

Emily is also having a great time at school.  She has already been able to get a prize out of the treasure box for being good and doing the best on all of her work.

So far school has been good this year.  Hopefully it lasts.

No comments: