Thursday, September 22, 2016

No Training Wheels

The annual Bike Rodeo at Canyon Elementary was on September 19th.  Emily is on the Canyon Colt Leadership Team (CCLT) so she was in charge of helping out with the rodeo.

The Funnest Bike Rodeo in Cache Valley is at Canyon Colt Elementary. Logan was so excited to go this year on his own bike. Last year he took his red motorcycle and had fun, but this year was even better because he had his big boy bike. The two boys had a great time at each station learning about helmet safety, how to look both ways before crossing the road, trying to staying the line course and there was cones to go in and out of. Logan was the funnest to watch when it came to stopping and going around the cones. He was in his own world just there to ride his bike. As for Colby he was funny also. He was so serious about each course. He did a good job listening and learning. This rodeo was so much fun. Every one who is reading this is wondering what about Emily? Don't worry I did not forget her. She had a great opportunity in being part of the behind the scenes work and being in charge of one of the courses. She was in charge of helmet safety and making sure each kid had their helmet fit right and was on right. Emily had a great time with the Canyon Colt Leadership Team she has learned a lot about how to be responsible. The above picture was a race to see how fast you can go before the stop sign and they had to stop. Some of the boys were able to stop while other just skidded right through the Stop sign. Fun time to watch this age group and bring back fun memories of my younger years on a bike. 

A few days after the rodeo, Emily and Colby wanted to start riding their bikes home after school. One day I told them I would bring them up just before school got out. Logan and I loaded up the two bikes in the truck and off we went to the school. As we were unloading the bikes out of the truck, I had a funny thought. I decided to try and see where Logan was at on riding a bike without training wheels. My first thought was he was just going to get on and fall over just as he sat on the seat and began to pedal. Boy was I mistaken. I put him on Colby's bike and held onto the seat and said to Logan start pedaling and he did and I let go for a minute to see what he would do and off he went straight ahead about 40 or so feet by himself. Holy cow I thought, the first time he rode a bike with out training wheels he was off on his own riding that far. So we did this about three more times before we got to the bike rack, and he got better every time he got on and rode. I wish I had a picture of his face when he was riding on his own. He was so excited and proud of himself. I was also a proud Dad that day also. We both drove as fast as we could home to show Mom what his new accomplishment was. We practiced for about another hour and headed up the road to get Emily and Colby. Logan had to show off to his to siblings. The sad thing about being in Cache Valley is once he got good at this the snow fell and now the bikes are put away. We will see how many cobwebs we need to get out of his head come next Spring.


Before I was a Dad, I would sometimes think I cannot wait to teach my kids to ride with out any training wheels. I remember how excited my dad was to teach me and I wanted that same excitement and memory. Emily and Colby were both naturals and caught on quick to ride with no training wheels, but I will have to say Logan beat them both. Sorry Emily and Colby I am not playing favorite, but your brother took off on his first time on a bike and I was not expecting that to happen. He was on his own with just some minor helps on teaching him how to balance and push off and start to pedal. This part took some time, but he soon got it and now he is officially a big boy on a big boy bike. What a day for this Dad. I had a lot of fun teaching him.

Way to go, Logan!  Pretty good for a 3 year old kid.  Logan loves practicing riding his bike now and feels as big as the other kids.

No comments: