Thursday, May 31, 2018

Cancer Survivors Day 2018

We attended Cancer Survivor's Day put on by the hospital. It is kind of fun going to things like this. It makes you feel like you are not alone in this but it also is makes you realize how many people this stupid disease has affected.  Other than that, we did have a good time at the dinner. I took the boys and Charlotte with me because Russell was with Emily at her softball game.  
The theme of the night was western so there were bandannas for all of us and horseshoes too.  The boys had too much fun in the jail photo booth while we waited in line for dinner. The BBQ pork from Texas Roadhouse was so good but our favorite part of the dinner was the Texas Roadhouse rolls and cinnamon honey butter.  While we ate, we listened to this really awesome speaker.
I wish I could remember his name but I can't. He was a throat cancer survivor.  He was a rancher from Wyoming and would travel to Logan for his treatments. The sad thing was that he loved to sing and was very good at it but with throat cancer, his vocal chords were pretty affected and he hadn't been able to sing for a very long time. He did sing for us though and he said it was the first time he has sang in public since his cancer. He did an amazing job!!  I loved his talk as well. He talked about his experience and how the Lord had His hand in everything that happened to him. Things fell into place for him along to way and people came into his life that helped him and his family. I was in tears listening to him talk because everything he said happened to me too. The Lord's hand was in my journey as well and I had so many blessings along to way. I loved hearing his story. 

At the end, we all had the opportunity to sign one of the beams that will be put into the new Cancer Center at the hospital.

I kind of felt dumb signing the beam but the kids finally convinced me and I signed all of our names on it. I went back a minute later and added "breast cancer survivor 2017".  Whether or not anyone will actually see my name I hope it gives them hope that they can survive their cancer as well.

Happy Cancer Survivor's Day!

No comments: