Sunday, May 13, 2018

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all of the awesome mothers out there!  I have the best mother ever, hands down. I am trying to be the best mother to my kids too but I don't really know how well I am doing.  Some days are better than others so I hope those are the days they remember...

This Mother's Day was pretty good.  It was just really relaxed because I didn't want to do anything major.  First Russell and the kids let me sleep in for a while (Yeah!).  Then they brought me breakfast in bed and a bunch of cards.  (Love it!).  I did take it back in the kitchen so I could eat with them though.  

After getting ready for church without a fight (for once), they decided to have a dance party in the front room.  It was so nice to see them getting along and having fun.  They were so cute at dancing too.  

Church was really good too today.  The speakers and lessons were really what I needed to hear.  The sacrament speaker really hit me.  She talked about Mary and Martha and how sometimes in our lives we need focus on the better part.  We each have a Mary and Martha in ourselves and sometimes we focus more on one or the other.  However when we focus on the Mary's in our life, or the spiritual aspects, the Martha's in our life or the practical everyday to-do lists seem to get done as well.  So we need to acknowledge that we have both needs and find a balance.  I think I have been focusing more on the Martha aspect and have forgotten Mary.  I really need to strengthen my spiritual side.

Anyway, after church, I really just wanted a good picture of me and the kids for Mother's Day, so this is what we got:

One and... a half good ones in all the twenty pictures we took.  These kids are crazy and the rest turned out like these ones:

Yeah we cannot take a good picture but oh well I guess we will always remember their personality.  That night, Russell and the kids made a really great dinner and an even yummier cake for dessert.    We had a great Mother's Day!

These next few pictures are of this cute little thing, Charlotte:

She is getting so big!!  I can't believe she is almost 2!!  Her personality is growing so much and it is funny to hear her talk and interact with us.  She is learning so much and learns new words everyday.  She also knows and can point to every part of her body.  She is a sugar addict and goes crazy (literally) if you do not give her some kind of sweet if she sees it.  It is seriously like a crack addict going through withdrawals...  We really need to have and intervention and cut her off from sweets.  

Other than that, she is a perfectly good little baby.  She loves being around her brothers and sister and tries to do everything they can do.   She thinks she is pretty cool with her sunglasses on too.  She absolutely loves being outside.  She jumps on the trampoline as well as the big kids, runs, plays in the dirt, and has even tried riding the trike but it is still a little too big for her.  Her favorite thing to do outside though is ride in the wagon.  Charlotte will go in the garage and get the wagon out all by herself so that we can pull her around.  We can walk around the block a million times and she loves every minute.  But the wagon has to be moving or she gets out.  She will not stay in it at the soccer or baseball games at all.

Charlotte is just now starting to like the camera.  She will finally smile at the camera when I try to take a picture.  She says "cheese!" and everything.  After she smiles, which is only for a few seconds, she wants to see the picture you had better have quickly snapped.  She says "I see! I see!"  Charlotte is at such a fun age!

I finally got around to finishing a project I have been wanting to do for a long time.  I have been saving holey or ripped jeans for a very long time and I finally cut them all up into squares and sewed them into quilts for my family:

I was surprised at how many squares of fabric I ended up with.  I was able to make six 60x72 inch quilts.  They are a little shorter than a twin size.  My original plan was to just make one quilt to put in the van for picnics or ball games but then I changed my mind when I saw how much I had.  I decided instead to make one for each of us.  I did put mine in the van as I originally planned.  Then I made one for Russell to leave in the truck or use at the fire station.  Each of the kids also got one which I decided to save for Christmas (Shhh!)  They already know about them so it is no secret.  They even picked out their own backing and binding fabric so that they would know which one was theirs.  I figured that these quilts will be something that will last for a while and something they can use throughout their life.  They can use them for scout camp or girls camp or sleepovers or whatever they want.

  It did take me a while to do though.  I started cutting up the jeans in February.  This was the part that took the longest amount of time.  After cutting everything into 3 inch and 5.5 inch squares, I started sewing them together.  This also took a while to do.  Once I got the strips sewn, I formed them into the quilt top patterns I wanted and started sewing the tops.  Once all of the tops were together, and the backs cut and sewn to match, it was time to tie the quilts.  I didn't know how I was going to do this because I did not have any quilting frames.  Then my relief society president said that she had some frames I could use.  That was such a life saver.  I didn't want to keep her frames for very long because I thought that would be rude to keep them forever.  Because of this, Russell and I worked really hard and tied all six quilts in a week.  It was actually pretty fun because we could watch movies or TV while we worked and not feel guilty at all.  We did a Marvel Avengers marathon and watched pretty much all of the movies in this series.  Even Emily got involved and learned how to tie a quilt.  She had a good time helping.  After binding them all, they were finally done!  I love how they turned out and so do the kids.  This was such an accomplishment! I also feel like these are the best things I have ever made. Now I feel like I am bored so I need a new project...
This is just a funny picture we took at our ward party.  The Young Women were having a spaghetti dinner fundraiser for Girls' Camp so we went to support them.  The kids loved the mustache decorations and walked around with their fake mustaches laughing so hard at the funny faces they showed everyone.  I was just happy I didn't have to make dinner!  

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: