Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Happy New Year 2020... A New Decade!

Happy New Year!! 2020 brings us not only a new year but a new decade.  This is the perfect time to take a look at our lives and see what we are doing right and well and also think about areas we can change or make better.  

Last year at this time, I talked about making goals and new resolutions.  I likened it to the scripture in Luke 2:52 which says, "And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man."  These four areas are where we need to set our goals.  This year, the church made some more changes.  Rather than continue with the Scouting program for boys and Activity Days for girls, they put together a new program for the youth of the church 8-18 years old.  It is called the Children and Youth program.  In this program, the children and youth of the church learn to set goals for themselves and work toward those goals.  The program emphasizes this scripture about how Jesus grew and encourages the youth to grow as Jesus did by setting goals in each of these four areas.  The activities they participate in in Young Men, Young Women, or Primary Activities, should help them explore different areas and help they achieve their goals.

We have been talking to the kids, especially Emily and Colby, about what kind of goals they want to set for themselves in these areas.  Emily's goals are: Educational: Earn the Great American Award (this award is difficult to earn because she has to memorize a lot of things like the Gettysburg Address, the Preamble to the Constitution, the Pledge of Allegiance, Star-Spangled Banner, the order of the presidents of the US, and all of the states and capitals.  She has a lot of work to do but she can do it.) Physical: she wants to get better at running and run the Canyon Colt 5K in May.  Spiritual:  Emily wants to read the Book of Mormon each night and finish by summertime.  She also wants us to study Come, Follow Me more often.  Finally, Social:  She wants to spent more time with friends.  (This goal really encompasses them all because as she manages her time better she will be able to get things done quicker and have more time to play with friends.)  She has some great goals planned.

Colby has some great goals too:  Educational:  Get better at the piano.  He wants to work really hard on his songs, theory, ear training, and sight reading for AIM.  Learn those things well and have them memorized in time for the performance and tests.  Physical:  He wants to get better at basketball.  He wants to practice his dribbling, running with the ball, passing, and shooting.  He wants to be more confident by the time basketball starts again. Spiritual: Read the Book of Mormon.  He wants to read a chapter or so a day.  Social:  He is still thinking about what he wants to do for social but I am sure he will figure something out.  

I am looking forward to this new program for the kids.  I know it puts more pressure on me as their parent to help them and remind them of their goals.  It also pushes me to set my own goals in these areas so that I am improving just like they are.  

My goals are:  Educational:  Read 25 books non-fiction and faith based, learn how to make a T-Shirt quilt and make one, learn how to use my InstaPot and compile some recipes, plan and stick to a budget so we can become debt free in 10 years.  Physical: Continue to run, do another marathon, learn to swim, eat healthier foods.  Spiritual: Really read and study the Book of Mormon.  Stay up with the Come, Follow Me lessons, have better family scripture study and family home evening, say more meaningful prayers, go to the temple more often, read the Ensign.  These goals are always my goals and I really just need to get in the habit of doing them.  Social:  Once again I feel like I need to be more aware of the needs of others around me and then help them.  I need to start in my own home.  I want to be a little kinder, happier, more loving and less critical of my kids and husband.  I need to be less ornery and more patient.   I also want to stay more up to date on the blog and start getting my kids memory books put together.  

There are a lot of things I want to do but I really think the main thing I need to do is get my spiritual life back in order.  I believe if this side is more balanced, the other things will not be so lopsided and overwhelming.  Put first things first, right?  

This year we don't have a lot planned yet.  One thing we do have planned is a Mexican Riviera Cruise for the whole family in just a few weeks!  We are excited for this and looking forward to getting to see the sun again and be warm!  

Other than that we don't have any major plans for the year.  Last year we became debt free other than the mortgage.  We really hope to stay that way from now until we pay off the house.  Because of this, we hope to start making bigger payments on the house in order to pay it off more quickly.  With this goal in mind, we are going to really start tightening our belts and become even more sticklers for the budget.  The cruise will probably be our only major trip and expense this year.  That will be okay though because there is plenty to do and see right here in Cache Valley and other places nearby.  

We are looking forward to a new year, a new decade, new goals, and to working toward new changes in our lives.  Welcome 2020!

No comments: