Friday, February 21, 2020

Ski Day

What a fun day with this favorite girl of mine. Emily and I got the chance to go "Ski the Beave" at Beaver Mountain. It was the 4th and 5th grade ski day for Canyon Elementary and Emily really wanted to go. It has been at least 15 years since I have skied and it was not a fun time, but I sucked it up for this pretty girl and off we went. We loaded the bus early in the morning and what a cold day to remember. The wind chill up at the school was chilling us to the bone. Emily was so excited to get up to the mountain and start skiing. The drive was fun, Emily and I talked and played games. I love seeing this girl smile. 
When we got to the mountain, the staff did a great job getting all of the kids ready and it was way organized. Emily got her skies and I helped get the kids ready with all their gear. After everyone was outfitted, it was off to the instructors to teach us how to ski. Emily did a great job. I thought she would be scared and very timid, but she was all in and loved it. The instructors we great with her and she was learning fast. 
I was watching and learning and catching on. I was a little timid because of my last skiing adventure, so I took it slow and easy. The instructions were a great help and I wish I knew these things when I first started to ski. Every time Emily accomplished one of the things the instructors had them do she was way excited and grinning ear to ear. She caught on really fast. They had us start with the basics by learning how to walk sideways up the hill and clip in and clip out of our bindings. Then it was off to the Magic Carpet hill for a little bunny hill. Emily did a good job with her first time down the hill. They taught us the "Y" stopping method and we both took it to heart and got the stopping part down. We both had our skis close to the "Y" method every time we went down the hill just in case. After going down the hill a lot and getting better every time, the instructors cut us free to go have fun. It was off to the real fun to see what kind of skiers we really were. We did the one hill they said was the best one for us to do first. We both jumped on the lifts and headed to the top of the hill for our first official time down the hill. 
Here we are all smiling and having a great time. It was a gorgeous day and we were all getting hot. Who knew that skiing was such a crazy work out. We shredded off some of our clothing and cooled off. The first time down the hill was so much fun for both of us. Emily was a pro at it. The first time she fell she was embarrassed and started to apologize to Ayzleigh and me. We both told her to not apologize. She got back up and started again. I was very impressed with her and how strong she was to get up and keep going. There was a funny time where she and Ayzleigh went by themselves and I took another hill. I fell a couple times trying to be outgoing. I got to the bottom of the hill to wait for Emily to catch up. I kept waiting and waiting and I was getting a little worried. Then I looked down toward the lifts and there she was in line and ready to do it again. I was way surprised that she was down that fast and in line. I skied down to her and laughed at her and told her she was speedy.  She and Ayzleigh both laughed at me. Emily said she was going down the mountain so fast and couldn't stop. I was way impressed and started to laugh with them. I thought to myself that I am glad she was able to stop before she got to the lift. What a go-getter. 


Check out her skiing in this video.

We skied for about 4 hours and by the end of the day we were both exhausted and ready to go home. Okay, Emily could have kept skiing forever, it was me that was tired and ready to be done. It is not fun getting older. I thought my legs were in good shape but after skiing I thought otherwise. We had so many fun memories together and really cannot wait until next year. I think we went down the hills at least 10 or more times and every time we got better and better. Emily was fearless in her abilities. I think we need to get this girl skiing next year. 

No comments: