Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Rest in Peace Grandma Morwood

After living 103.5 years on this earth, Grandma Morwood passed away in her sleep on May 2, 2022. This was hard news to take because she has always been so active, caring, and a big part of our lives. It was only the last 6 months or so that her health really started to decline. Because of this decline though, her passing was in a way a blessing. She was ready to go and see Grandpa again after 26 years.
Sept. 22, 1918-May 2, 2022
Her Obituary was beautifully written and told about her amazing life. In it it tells of the devoted and loving mother and grandmother she was to all of us. This is something I will always remember. She always had things for the grandkids. There were always cookies in her cookie jar, candy in the dish, a lap to sit on to watch cartoons or "The Price is Right," or a game of cards to play together. She always remembered everything you told her and knew all about what was going on in your life. She also had a quick wit and a sense of humor. I am so grateful for the years we got to live next door to her. We really got to know her even more and the kids loved going over to visit everyday.  Colby and Logan were only 3 and 1 at the time but they would just walk over, climb up on her railing and ring the doorbell. If there was ever a time I couldn't find them, I would go over to Grandma's and there they would be sitting on her lap watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Grandma loved it! 

Toward the end it got really hard emotionally for me. We were too far away to really do anything to help and all I would hear was how her health was really declining. In a way it was good though because I never saw her really sick so my memories are all of her being healthy. I didn't want Grandma to die but I didn't want her suffering either so I didn't really know what to pray for. So I just prayed that she would be comfortable and that we would be comforted.  We were able to go visit her a few weeks before she died which was good. I could tell she was not herself when she asked me where I was living now. When I said Logan she said "Oh yeah..." Like I said before Grandma always had a sharp mind and could remember everything so that was hard to realize. I didn't know if I would ever see her again so when we left I told her I loved her and said goodbye. I hope she understood and could hear me. 

This is us at her 103 birthday party. This was one of the last things she was able to do before her health took a turn.

And here she is at her 100th birthday. Charlotte was named after Grandma so it was fun to get a picture of them together. I wish it was a better picture but it is good enough.

My dad took her passing pretty hard obviously because this was his mom. When I talked to him on the phone on the day Grandma died, he was very emotional and couldn't really even talk. I just told him I loved him and that we would be down soon. Through tears he said okay. 

We headed down to St. George for the funeral on the weekend of Mother's Day.  Grandma's funeral was held on that Monday. Because the Ironman was going on Saturday, and all of St. George was basically closed off, Saturday was not an option. This was okay though and really Monday was a better day to do it because we all got together on Sunday night, Mother's Day, to decorate the church and set out all of Grandma's things for the viewing. This was a fun time as girl cousins to just remember and reminisce about Grandma as we looked at all of her things.  We didn't have any kids with us so it was just nice to focus on Grandma together.

On the day of the funeral, we all met together as a family at the viewing beforehand.

It was so nice to see everyone but hard because the only one missing was Grandma. I know she was there in spirit though because she loved getting together with all of her family.  She would have been happy to see us all together.

At the viewing I was able to get a once in a lifetime picture of all of my aunts and uncles dressed up and together. Some of them are even smiling!!
After a family prayer and a final viewing before closing the casket, we all filed into the chapel for the funeral. Our family filled the chapel. All other visitors sat in the overflow in the gym. It was amazing to see what a great posterity Grandma has. Just to give you the numbers, Grandma has 8 kids, 34 grandchildren, 106 great-grandchildren, 57 great-great-grandchildren, so 205 in all!! This picture taken at the 100th birthday will give you an idea of how many people that is (and then add a few more):

All of the talks during the funeral were awesome. Crystal, Rick, and Janet talked and told some of the funniest stories about Grandma. We were all laughing because we knew they were true.  Then all of the great grandkids and some great great grandkids went up and sang "I Am a Child of God." This was so cool because there were probably 150 people up there in the choir seats singing. There were people up there that I didn't think would come up.  Some of them had probably never heard that song or sung before but they were up there singing for Grandma. It was amazing. 

After the funeral, we all headed to Salina for the burial. On the drive up, we almost died because the truck ahead of us blew two tires on his trailer and about hit us with the debris. It was scary but anyway we made it to the Salina Cemetery in one piece. 
At the cemetery we all gathered again to celebrate this awesome lady.  Dion gave a great talk, and Sarah and Krissy sang, then DonLynn dedicated the grave.

Watching all of Grandma's boys carry her casket was very awe-inspiring. You just knew they loved her.  Grandma's casket was so beautiful in a purple tint with roses. The flower arrangement on top was also gorgeous.

Before leaving the cemetery, we took the chance to get a few more pictures with Grandma.

These little cousins had fun playing in the grass together even though the grass was poking their legs. 

We all met together at a nearby church for brownies and ice cream and a chance to visit some more. This was a great opportunity to talk to my cousin, Cami. Cami found out she has breast cancer on the same day she found out Grandma died so she has been having a "great" week. I was able to talk to her and tell her to hang in there through all the treatments. I hope everything goes well for her. She has seven little kids so I know it will be hard. I wish there was something more I could do. 
Before heading home, we stopped by the cemetery once more to see the grave site. It was bittersweet. We are sad to lose Grandma but we are so happy that she and Grandpa are together again.

We love you Grandma. God be with you until we meet again...

No comments: