Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Happy New Year 2024

Hello 2024!  A new year is already under way and that means a clean slate for all the things and goals we want to do this year.  I am hoping for more adventures, getting some projects done, learning a lot, and growing spiritually.
  
As for goals this year, I think I am going to continue on with the ones I had last year but put a spiritual twist on them.  In sacrament meeting, the speaker mentioned that when we put the spiritual stuff first, all the other things will fall into place where they need to be.  So starting the day with a scripture, a conference quote, or church magazine article can really help all the other aspects of our lives.  So I hope to do that this year.  My main goal this year is to attend the temple more often.  My goal is to go once a week.  That will give me 52 ordinances to do for deceased ancestors.  I also want to continue my goal of getting the kids picture scrapbooks caught up.  I had this goal last year but it did not happen so this is the year. I plan on continuing journaling in my personal journal.  I did pretty good with this last year until the summer when things got busy so hopefully I can keep this going.  Finally, Russell and I signed up for the Spudman Triathlon again this year and I also signed up for a half marathon in May.  So the physical goal is still there. 

Russell's goals for this year are: first, go to the temple once a week.  This will help that we have the same goal because it will keep us accountable. Second, get the food truck going.  A couple months ago I found a pop up tent trailer someone was giving away for free.  We got it and ever since then, Russell has been making plans on turning it into a food truck.  He plans on selling snow cones or drinks or things like that.  A snack shack sort of thing.  We'll see how it goes.  Finally, he wants to read the Book of Mormon this year.

Emily's goals are: first, try out for track.  I think she will do distance events but maybe she'll try other things too.  Second, memorize the Doctrinal Mastery scriptures from seminary.  Emily is enjoying her first year of seminary right now and is learning a lot.  Lastly, Emily wants to learn how to drive and get her driver's license.  This will be a big step for her and us!

Colby wants to learn to ride his mountain bike with clip shoes.  He was noticing that all of the varsity riders have clip-less pedals so he thinks in order to be fast, that is what you need.  This will take some practice but I think he will be able to do it.  Colby also wants to get in a better habit of reading his scriptures and plans on reading the scriptures at least twice a week and finish the Book of Mormon by the end of the year. 

 Logan wants to get better at parkour and learn to do a double back flip.  He loves going to Parkour class and is getting stronger at the tricks.  He also wants to read all of the Harry Potter books.  So far he is just finishing the third book and will start the fourth soon.  One goal I have for Logan is to earn the Great American Award.  There is a lot of memorizing but I think he can do it.

Charlotte also wants to learn how to do a back flip and a front flip on the trampoline.  Every summer these kids live on the trampoline so I think she can do this if she puts her mind to it.  She also wants to start reading chapter books.  This will require some time on my part to help her practice her reading but we can definitely do it.  Finally she wants to get better at the piano.  This will also require lots of practice but it is definitely doable.

Finally Brooklyn's goal, well my goal for her, is to learn the alphabet and numbers.  She does really well at singing the alphabet and can count to 20 already but I don't know if she really understands what she is doing.  This will be a good learning year for her and all of us.

One goal I have for the family is to read the Book of Mormon together as a family.  The church is studying the Book of Mormon this year and the new Come Follow Me manual has a lot of great resources for family study helps.  I am excited to do this together this year because I feel like the kids are old enough to understand.  There are so many blessing promised by studying the Book of Mormon and I really want those blessings in our lives.  President Nelson has promised:

“My dear brothers and sisters, I promise that as you prayerfully study the Book of Mormon every day, you will make better decisions—every day. I promise that as you ponder what you study, the windows of heaven will open, and you will receive answers to your own questions and direction for your own life. I promise that as you daily immerse yourself in the Book of Mormon, you can be immunized against the evils of the day”

What amazing promises.  Making better decisions, receiving answers to questions, and being immunized against evil.  Those are all things we need so let's put this to the test and study the Book of Mormon! 

2024 will be a great year I am sure of it!  We are starting the year out right by gong on a cruise so what could be better.  Here's to a great year!

No comments: