Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dam that Dam Run...I mean... "Dam 2 Dam Run!"

Well I did it! For the first time since I was in high school (almost 7 years ago) I completed my first "Fun Run!" As you know, one of my New Year resolutions was to get in shape and start running again. Well I thought what better way to do this than to start competing in the races around town. Not only does that motivate me to keep running and training, but each race, I get a FREE T-SHIRT!! (that I will probably never wear!) What better motivation is there!!! Any way on Saturday I ran my first race. It was the annual Dam 2 Dam run put on by Hurricane City. The course was 5 scenic miles around Sand Hollow Reservoir. It started on the north dam and proceeded around Sand Hollow Reservoir across the west dam to the finish in the parking lot.
Here I am before the race started waiting for the shuttle to take me to the starting line. Once at the starting line we had to wait in the freezing weather for an hour before the race was scheduled to start. As you can see from the picture the sky was very overcast and threatening to rain the whole time. I was praying for no rain at least until after I finished running. Finally it was time for the race to start so all of the runners were just huddled around the starting line just talking and then we hear "GO!" and the race had started! It was so funny because the race coordinators didn't call us to the line or say "On your mark, Get set," or even fire a start gun! They just said "GO!" and we were like "Oh OK lets start running." So we were off.
I felt pretty good during the race. It was cold but not too bad. I started to get warm so I took off my jacket but then I froze so I had to put it back on! I just tried to keep up a good pace so that I didn't wear myself out too quickly. While I have been training, I have been averaging about a 9 minute mile which is not bad for not running in 6 years. So my goal was to finish the race in 45-50 minutes.
Here we are coming across the west dam toward the finish line. I am the one in the pink clear back there.

Here I am again. Don't I look fast passing this little kid! J/K this little boy was waiting by that pole and then ran to the finish line with his dad. It was so cute! Keep in mind this guy in front of me #114.

The kick at the end! The finish line is now a few yards away. I look so focused! I was concentrating on the finish line and on the #114 guy in front of me. I told myself I had to pass him before the end and I did it! Yeah!

And here I am at the finish line... I MADE IT!!!! And I made my goal. I ran the 5 miles in 46:43 (9:20 min/mile). I was 47th overall and 7th in my age group. Pretty good I think for my first race. This race was definitely fun and I felt very accomplished afterward. Thank you everyone that came and cheered for me. By the way, my prayers were answered and it didn't start raining until after I had finished the race!
I am looking forward to my next 10K race in March. That course will be through Snow Canyon Park.

3 comments:

Amelia Brame said...

I've totally done that race! It was 3 years ago... but it was fun! The t-shirt is definitely the best part about running races ;)

~HIGGINS~ said...

Thats so cool...It's even cooler that you took the time to train and you meet your goal. I totally want to start running to...when I was barely pregnant I entered a race, and did horrible. In a few months, when the baby is finally here You'll be seeing me in races too...or at least that's my goal too.

The Nielson Bunch said...

I love race t-shirts! Have we really been out of high school that long? Congrats on running the race. What an awesome goal.