Sunday, August 24, 2014

First Day of Kindergarten

Can you believe it? We have a kindergarten-er!
Look how big she is getting!  Emily's first day of school was August 18.  She had been looking forward to this day for so long; probably two years!  Ever since preschool let out in May, Emily has been asking me if it was time to start Kindergarten yet.  She was so excited to go school clothes shopping and picked out all of her new outfits.  She also loved school supply shopping and was so excited to show her teacher her new pencil bag.  On August 5, her new Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Doty, came to our house to meet Emily.  This was also an exciting moment.  Finally the day she had been waiting for came and it was time for Kindergarten!

We walked to school as a family to see Emily off.  Emily walked into the classroom like she owned the place.  She found her seat and cubby for her backpack and was ready for the day.  I told her goodbye and she said "Goodbye, Mom!"  and set to work doing the schoolwork on her desk.  She was ready for school.  I am glad she was so independent and ready but at the same time it was kind of sad because she didn't need me anymore...  I didn't think I would feel sad but I kind of did because that is my baby girl...  I am glad she is so excited about school though.

Here she is at her table on the first day.  She sits on the Yellow table with a boy named Brodie and a girl named Peyton.  

This is a picture her teacher took at Emily's assessment.  Emily passed the assessment with flying colors.  She even read a book the teacher had for her.  I really hope her teacher will keep her engaged and challenged in Kindergarten this year and not just assumes she already knows everything.  I want Emily to continue to love school and make friends and look forward to going to school each day.  My fear as a parent is that she will get forgotten in her class and I really don't want that to happen.  For this reason, I have signed up to be the Room Mom.  I will plan the class parties and help out whenever I can.  I am kind of excited about this new adventure.
Here is one more picture of my cute kindergarten-er!

No comments: