Saturday, October 25, 2014

Save a Sister 10K

I ran an awesome race today.  I participated in the Save A Sister 10k and got my personal best time of 51:23 minutes (8:16 minute/mile) and I placed 19th overall and 2nd in my age group.  I was so excited about my results.  Here I am showing off my 2nd place metal:


I felt really good during this race.  I was able to get out ahead of the pack at the beginning of the race which I think really helped me.  Here we are at the starting line:

I have decided running is definitely a mental sport.  I knew it was but it totally was this race.  The first mile I ran in 7:36 minutes.  After seeing this time, I was really happy and thought "Wow I am doing great.  I can keep up this pace."  This really helped me keep a positive attitude during the race.  Later at around mile 4 and 5 the course took a turn up hill.  Normally hills are really discouraging but I kept telling myself that I have trained on hills.  I have ran up Valley View and the Red Hill road and other hills and been fine so I kept telling myself I could overcome this hill too.  And I did it!  The last 1/2 mile of the course I was able to really pick up the pace and finish strong with a good kick at the end.  I was very happy with my results and this race.  
After the race everyone was dancing to the music in a field of pink bubbles.  They had bubble machines going so we could run through bubbles and also play in them and get really soapy.  Some people really got into it but not me.  I was happy to stay after for the award ceremony to get my metal.  I am definitely grateful for this body I have been blessed with that enables me to be active and healthy.  My next race is next Saturday and it is what I have been working up to:  the Snow Canyon Half Marathon!

No comments: