Monday, May 17, 2010

Bountiful Baskets

Okay everyone, my sister introduced me to the best thing a few weeks ago and I want to share it with you. It is called Bountiful Baskets! What it is is a better and less expensive way of buying FRESH produce. Bountiful Baskets is a food co-op, or a group that purchases items at huge discounts and the distributes the items to the participants at cheaper rates than stores. I have been participating for 3 weeks now and I definitely think it is worth it. Each Monday, I purchase a basket on their website for $16.50 and then pick it up at a specific location on Saturday. After the first week, I realized that I was getting a steal of a deal because for $16.50 I was getting around $40 worth of fresh fruits and vegetables. Sound to good to be true? Well it's not! Check out their website Bountiful Baskets and see for yourself. All you have to do to get a basket is go to their website during the allotted time (for southern Utah it is Monday at 4 pm through I think 10 pm on Tuesday but you want to sign up right at the beginning because the baskets go fast.), sign into your account, and then just select a pick up location near you and the type of basket you want and then check out using a credit card. Then on Saturday, you go pick up your basket! It is so easy. On Saturday, you will go to your pick up location at the specific time and you will find something like this. Baskets everywhere!

And look at all of the food you will get! This is what was in my basket last Saturday. I got romaine lettuce, 8 ears of corn on the cob, 6 tomatoes, 14 Brussels sprouts, 2 butternut squash, bananas, carrots, watermelon, 10 peaches, a dozen apples, 5 mangoes, and I can't remember what else. Definitely worth $16.50! In the past couple of weeks I have gotten other things like spinach, artichokes, cantaloupe, honey dew, radishes, black berries, oranges, Kiwis, cucumbers, broci-flower, and more. Normally Russell and I would not buy some of this stuff because of the cost, but by buying the Basket, we have tried new vegetables and recipes. I like it because we are now eating more healthy foods and saving money in the process. If you are thinking you won't be able to eat all of this food, think about sharing it with someone. I share my Basket with my mom so really the Basket only costs me $8.25, an even better deal. We just split it evenly and we both get the benefit of fresh produce. Keep in mind that this is not the leftover produce a store couldn't sell, it is good, fresh food!
Bountiful Baskets also sell other baskets that contain bread, or tortillas, and they also have an organic basket if you prefer organic foods. Check out the website I don't think you will be disappointed.
(After reading this post, I realized it sounds like a sales pitch but it's not, I just think this is a really good deal!)

2 comments:

Amelia Brame said...

Yeah my family totally does that, too! My mom was telling me about it the other day. I wish they did that down in Houston!

~HIGGINS~ said...

I'm so glad you posted this...I seen something on the news about it and have been wanted to try it out, but didnt' know where to start...thanks!