Thursday, June 3, 2010

Memorial Weekend

Memorial weekend was so fun this year. Russell and I went camping with my family . It was so nice to relax and enjoy being together as a family. We went to Escalante, UT and camped along the Hell's Backbone road near Posey Lake. While we were there, we explored all of the sites around Escalante including Hole-In-The-Rock (the main reason we went), Dance Hall Rock, Hell's Backbone, Devil's Garden and more. For being a desert, the scenery was so beautiful. I had no idea there were so many things to see around Escalante and the Grand Staircase Escalante Monument. For the next few days, as time permits, I will be posting pictures and stories of the places we visited and you will see for yourself the beauty of this wonderful place! For now, here are a few random fun pictures of our camping trip:
As you all know, the desert is full of lizards. Some of those lizards are bigger than people! We decided this statue outside the Escalante BLM Visitor's center was a perfect photo opportunity for all of the grand kids.



Emily loved spending all day playing with her cousins. Whether they were pretending to ride four-wheelers, bouncing on a fallen tree, or sharing an Otter Pop, these cousins had a great time playing and playing. Emily would get so mad when it was time to stop playing and go to bed or eat or anything that took her away from her "conins" (cousins). She especially liked playing with "Kislin"(Chrislyn), "Ty-ty" (Tyrel). It was fun to watch her play and get dirty (her favorite part!) The moment we got to our camp, she sat down right in the dirt and started burying her legs in the black mountain dirt! Needless to say, I could not keep her clean the whole weekend!



Emily has such a funny personality. I love it; sometimes I just laugh at her. Above are a few funny pictures I took while we were traveling this weekend. First, I gave her a Twizzler and all she did was make funny faces with the "cany" (candy). I love how the candy fits perfectly in between her missing teeth. Second, Emily wanted a "bebet" (blanket) but all we had at the time was her shopping cart cover. I put it on her and she was happy, then she noticed the holes and decided to play peek-a-boo, which is actually peek-a-"roar"! She will hide and then "roar" at you. She thought it was pretty funny. Finally, Emily's new favorite thing to do is color. She loves coloring. While she is coloring she sings "Calour, calour, calour!" (Color, color, color!) over and over again. Well, in this last picture, she decided her arms were better than the paper I had given her. By the time I stopped her, she had colored all over her arms! From then on, she would point to her arms and say "Uh-oh Tippy calours ahrm" (Uh-Oh Pretty colors on my arm!) (As you can tell, I am getting pretty good at understanding her baby talk. Sometimes I have to interpret what she is saying for Russell.) It is so hard to get mad at her when it is so funny!

As you will soon see, we had a great vacation. Enjoy the next few posts...

1 comment:

Alan said...

Looks like fun! What a cute little girl. I am so excited to go camping this summer!

Crystal