Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Projects I Have Been Working On...

I have been in a crafty/sewing mood lately I guess because I have been working on a bunch of different projects. Here are just a few that I have finished but I still have a long list I am working on.
Earlier I mentioned that I made a Spring Clutch from From an Igloo but it was too small for me to fit all of my "things" in it. I took that pattern and modified it a little to make it bigger and more useful. I also lengthened the handle to make a strap. I like the way it turned out. I am going to give the other little ones I made to my nieces for Christmas.
I made this picture frame for my mom and mom-in-law for Mother's Day. They loved them!

This is one of my favorite projects! I made this scripture bag for my niece when she got baptized. She really liked it. This is the first project I have made from "scratch"; I didn't have a pattern so I just kind of winged it. It took me a about a day to make and a lot of math calculations to get the measurements right. That probably sounds like it is hard to make but it is actually pretty easy. I am working on a tutorial so stay tuned.
Emily and I have matching pajamas now. This was also a fun project. I got the idea from Made. To make these pj's all I had to do was measure a pair of shorts we already had to make a pattern. I kind of messed up on this because I forgot to measure for a seam allowance! Luckily the shorts I used for the pattern were kind of baggy so the pj's still fit. I learned from that mistake on Emily's pair and her pj's fit perfectly. She is funny now because whenever she wears these shorts, she wants me to wear my shorts too.
I think it must be the year for having a baby! It seems like everyone I know is pregnant. I have been working hard on baby blankets, burp cloths, hair bows, personalized onesies, and sock rattles for all of my expecting friends. I could make blankets and burp cloths all day because they are so easy and fun. The onesies are pretty nice too because they are not a typical gift so it gives your personal touch. I learned how to make hair bow because, well, I have a girl. They are also pretty easy to make. Finally the sock rattles are new to me. This is mostly hand sewn and embroidered. I have never embroidered before so thanks to the wonderful Internet I was able to learn. I think the rattle turned out good and it didn't take very long to make either.
Finally, the last project in this post is one I made for my cousin's so-to-be-wife's bridal shower. I have always wanted to learn how to etch glass so I could put my name on all of my Pyrex dishes so I was so excited when the girls on Make-It-Love-It showed me how! It is actually quit simple. All you need to do it buy Etching cream at Michael's or some craft store and make a stencil out of vinyl lettering or contact paper! The gift was a hit. I included some hot pads, a serving spoon and some of my favorite recipes. (Rachel (the bride-to-be) was mostly excited about the recipes!).

Well there you go, all of these projects are pretty simple so if I can do it you can too. Check out the links and get busy making stuff!

No comments: