Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pears...

Growing up my mom always canned pears from my grandpa's farm. She flavored the pears with cinnamon hearts because that was the only way we would eat the pears. I have missed these yummy pears for so long that when my mom offered me two boxes of pears I jumped at the opportunity to bottle cinnamon pears!
I have never bottled pears before but it was really easy. The longest part was peeling and coring the pears. Then all you do is add 1/3 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup cinnamon hearts to each jar and then stuff the pear quarters inside the jar and add water to fill the jar. After putting the lids on the jars, you boil the filled jars for 20 minutes to make sure they seal properly. Easy as that!
The pears are so good and they bring back great childhood memories. The one memory that stands out is taking the pears to school in my lunchbox and all of my friends would ask me, with a disgusted look on their faces, what I was eating. They had never seen pink pears before!
Emily loves pears too. While I was peeling these pears, she was constantly asking me for more pears. She could eat them faster than I could peel them! She probably ate 2 whole pears or more before I told her she had had enough. She was not too happy about that. She loves these cinnamon pears too.

No comments: