Saturday, November 20, 2010

Turkey Trot

November 20 was the annual Turkey Trot to benefit the Dixie Care and Share. Russell and I wanted to participate this year and we invited Traci to come along too. All we had to do to participate was bring 3 cans of food per person.
Due to this large mass growing in my abdomen, I was not able to run so Traci and I pushed Emily in the stroller and just walked the mile long course. Russell on the other hand has been running about 4 times a week for the past month or so for exercise so he ran the 5k. This was Russell's first 5k and he did really good getting a PR!
Look how fast he is running to the finish line! Russell ran the 3.1 mile course in 26:50 minutes, which is pretty good for his first race. I asked Russell if he had anything to add about the race and all he says is it was fun. A man of many words...
After the race... The color had come back to his face by now. Usually when people run their faces are red but not Russell's his was white as a sheet. I don't know why, lack of oxygen maybe, but who cares what you look like while you run as long as you are running and finishing the race, right! Good job on your first race! Russell wants to run a 1/2 marathon by February so he is training really hard. I am happy for him but at the same time, kind of jealous. When I was running at the beginning of the year, I tried to get him to run with me and he did for a while but then he said he was too busy to run so he quit and I had to do it alone. Now that I can't run because, in his words, he got his running partner pregnant!, he wants to train for and run all of these races! How mean is that! Oh well, I guess it is good he is running and it is fun cheering for him too. The 1/2 marathon he wants to do is a week or two before the baby is due so I hope I will still be able to run around the course and cheer for him without my water breaking or going into labor!
While at the Turkey Trot, Santa (or "Ho Ho Christmas" as Emily calls him) was there handing out candy canes. Emily wasn't too excited to talk to him but she did want the candy canes. Later that day though that was all she could talk about. She told everyone she saw Ho Ho Christmas and he gave her a candy.
Also after all of the runners and walkers had crossed the finish line, about 15 turkeys and a bunch of other prizes were raffled off to the participants. We really wanted a turkey but our names never got drawn out of the raffle. We were bummed but Russell did catch a beanie that was thrown and Emily got a coupon for a free kids meal at Del Taco which we probably will never use. So we didn't leave empty handed and we had a good time besides that. The sky was really overcast and was threatening to rain but luckily it didn't rain until we got home. We had a fun day today.

No comments: