Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Play Dough

When I was a kid, my mom used to make play dough for us. I dug out her old recipe today and whipped up my first batch of homemade play dough. Our nephew, Alex, is turning three on Friday and I thought this would be a fun gift to give him. I made the first batch while Emily was taking her nap. When she woke up, I showed her what we were giving Alex for his birthday and she said she wanted some for her birthday too. I told her I would make her some and she said "Come on Mom. Let's make some now." So we did! Emily had a blast helping me make the play dough and we both had a great time playing with it afterward.

First she helped me mix all of the ingredients into the pan and then, after it was cooked, she helped me knead the dough (or "squish it" according to Emily) to make it soft. Emily even picked out the colors. I kneaded the food coloring into the dough and turned my hands pink and blue because I didn't wear gloves. Hopefully they will come clean soon! Then we got busy playing:


Look at our masterpieces! We made snakes, Popsicles, flowers, dice, a ladybug and a funny looking spider. I would have given Colby some to play with too but I was afraid he would just eat it so I didn't. I had forgotten how much fun playing with play dough is. Emily didn't want to clean up when it was time to start dinner. She wanted to keep playing. This was definitely a fun afternoon.

***If you want to make some of your own, check out my recipe here.***

1 comment:

Rebecca Gerber said...

Have you ever seen the kool aid playdough where you use kool aid for the coloring. That way it smells so much better. Its kinda fun!