Sunday, August 16, 2015

End of Summer Fun

With school starting next week, we decided we needed to have a little end of summer fun.  Emily will start first grade next week and Colby will be in preschool.  They are both looking forward to going to school.

Before summer ended, we knew we needed to check out the Logan Aquatic Center.  Luckily, Logan City put on a fun swimming party for all of their employees on Friday so we were able to go.  We had a blast.  The kids loved the leisure pool because they could just wade around with no worries of the water getting too deep.  I loved it for that reason too.  We splashed around, tried to swim, and just had a good time.  

 Russell and I also decided we need to get the kids into swimming lessons so they will know how to float and swim and not be afraid of the deep water.  While we were playing, we tried to teach all three of the kids how to float on their backs but they kept freaking out and wouldn't even try.  Oh well they will learn someday.
 Probably their favorite part of the Aquatic Center was the hydro slide!  Colby and Logan loved sliding down with Russell and me.  Emily had a blast going down by herself.  Thankfully a life guard caught her at the bottom each time.  We also won a prize for diving and catching a starfish.  Emily and Colby selected a bird feeder as our prize.  They cannot wait for us to hang it up at our house.
The next morning, for my marathon training run, Russell and the kids dropped me off up Blacksmith Fork Canyon and I ran 18 miles into Logan.  Then they met me at the Merrill Olsen park in Logan.  This was a really good run.  It was the farthest I have ever gone but I felt really good while I was running.  At the park the kids were playing in the river so I decided to join them and because the water was cold, I used it as an ice bath to cool the muscles in my legs.  It was supposed to help with soreness but I am still kind of sore.  Oh the joys of running...

When we got home, instead of getting ready for the day, we decided to head to Hyrum Reservoir and spend the day at the lake.

 This was so much fun and so relaxing!  We all had a blast in the water just splashing and playing around.  Emily is getting braver and was actually trying to learn to float and swim while we were teaching her.  The boys on the other had are still scared.  But they did like the fact that the life jackets helped them float when they got too far out.
We spent pretty much all day at the lake and came home with very nice sunburns...  I remembered to put sunscreen on the kids faces but their backs as well as mine and Russell's were pretty red.  Oh well it was still fun...

Today is Sunday and our family had to talk in sacrament meeting in our new ward.  I was dreading this ever since we moved in and then Russell pretty much volunteered us to speak because he had this Sunday off.  I am glad it is over now and to tell you the truth, it wasn't that bad.  Emily and Colby also spoke in sacrament with us!  They did such a great job!  Emily wanted to talk from the beginning so together we wrote a little talk about our topic, Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy.  She read it and practiced it all week long and was so excited to give her talk.  She gave her talk all by herself, we didn't even have to be by her!  She is much braver than I am.  Colby said he didn't want to give a talk.  I found him a little talk about things we can do on Sunday but he still didn't want to do it.  I wasn't going to push him because he is 4 and didn't really need to do one.  Then this morning, Russell, Emily and I got our talks ready to go to church and Colby came up to me and said he wanted to do his talk.  I was kind of shocked and asked him if he was sure.  He said yes and was really excited so I found his little talk and we practiced it a couple of times before church. Then when it was his turn to talk in sacrament meeting, he got right up to the microphone and, with me whispering the words in his ear, gave his little talk so perfectly.  He didn't even play around or make funny noises in the mic, he just gave his talk so well.  I was so proud of my kids for doing such a great job and setting the example for me to not be scared and just do it.  

What a great weekend!

No comments: