Thursday, May 25, 2017

Akela

No I am not part Indian and no I do not wear this as my normal clothing apparel. I had an opportunity to go help with Paul's Arrow of Light Ceremony. I have not played Akela for a ceremony for a very long time. The last time I played Akela was for the Order of the Arrow. It was fun to do this again and especially for a nephew. It was a great Arrow of Light Ceremony. Paul worked hard to get this award and he deserved this. 

The ceremony started with Indian music as I walked in. The Cub Master opened the ceremony by saying there was a candidate who had earned the highest award a Cub Scout can achieve. I said present the candidate so I can present him to the tribe. I let Paul know how important it was to get this award and how he should always remember the hard work he put into getting his Arrow of Light. 

I presented him with a feather and told him this feather was found on the highest peak where the Eagles fly. This represented how far he had to climb to get this award. I then presented him with an arrow and told him like this arrow it is straight and true, like your life should be. The arrow head is sharp, and so should your mind be so you can continue to learn. Last I told him the feathers are there to help guide the arrow to its target and this is the same for his life. He should use others as a guide to get him where he needs to be in life. I then painted his face and each color represented the seven points of the Arrow of Light. Paul and everyone loved the ceremony. 

The coolest part about the Arrow of Light ceremony was when my dad had the opportunity to present Paul with the plaque he made for him. My dad has been making these plaque for boys since I was at least 6 years old. He made mine and Tyler's and now he got to make one for the next generation. It was way cool to introduce my dad and let people know of what he has done for the cub scout program and the boys who had received their Arrow of Light. The last picture is me in a nut shell weird and crazy and too much peyote.  Congratulations Paul!

No comments: