Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Stitches!

This poor kid had his first ER visit for stitches. We had great night doing the Canyon Colt Leadership Run as a family. Emily and Colby did a great job with the run. After the run, we were outside talking to our neighbors when we heard a loud scream and cry. I thought oh boy now who got hurt. I walked over to Colby and he was walking his bike. I thought oh another scrapped knee or something. I looked at him closer and he had blood coming out of his mouth. OH BOY I thought he did a number this time. I took him to the bathroom and started looking for where he was bleeding. Finally I found it on the corner of his lip. He split the inside of his lip and out to the outside part. I thought well so much for a quick bandage, he needs stitches. It was after 9 pm, so we had to go to the ER and get him fixed up. He was freaking out because he did not want to have stitches but we knew he had to have them.  He was so nervous to be stuck by the needles. While were waiting for the doctor we found X-Men on the T.V and he was hooked in.

Poor kid when it came to the lidocaine shot. We had to hold him down and basically hog tie him to the gurney. He is just like his mom and hates needles.  I tried to prepare him for what was going to happen next, but it did not help. Once the lip was numbed up, it was time for the stitching. He would not open his mouth or hold still. So we held him down again. The PA took the head, a tech laid on him and I pried open his mouth so the doctor could stitch him up. It was good team work. Dr. Stoworthy said that was the easiest sew job he had ever done on a mouth. I had teeth marks on my thumbs where I had to keep my fingers in Colby's mouth to keep it open...  After the trauma was over I picked him up and gave him a big hug. It is tough for kids at that age to understand what is going on. 
While we sat there waiting for the papers to leave, I told Colby some of my war stories when I was a kid. It helped a little. As you could tell from this picture he was not happy at all. Three stitches later and around midnight we were able to go home and sleep. We got him to bed and about an hour after he fell asleep, he started having nightmares about the ER. In his sleep he was yelling "STOP! DON'T! I DON'T WANT IT! IT HURTS!!!" Poor kid. I gave him some ibuprofen and he slept the rest of the night.  Now he talks in a mumble because he does not want to open his mouth.  What a day for crazy and fun memories.

No comments: