Monday, September 11, 2017

Chemo #4...Cancer Journey Part 11

When I was told that I needed Chemotherapy, the last treatment date seemed years away.  Even after the first treatment, I thought the next three months were going to take forever.  But here I am, my last chemo treatment!  Chemo day #4! Last one! 
I looked forward to this day as much as anyone would look forward to being kicked in the gut but, at the same time, excited because I knew it was the last time I would have to get kicked in the gut!  Anyway it was actually a really good day.  I received my certificate of completion today. I graduated!  When the ladies at the Infusion Clinic presented this certificate to me, I had to hold back the tears!  Not only did they give me the certificate they also gave me a lovely "Survivor" charm to put on a necklace and wear all the time.  At that moment I thought this was seriously the best thing I have ever received!  I just sat and stared at it knowing I had made it though and I was a survivor!  I don't even know how to describe it other than overwhelming joy and relief!

Before my treatment,  I also had a consultation with the Radiation Oncologist and she told me that because of the type, and stage of my cancer, and the fact that I had a complete mastectomy with clear margins,  I do not need radiation.  This was another amazing blessing because we had not been 100% sure whether or not we would need radiation.  I am so glad we do not need to go down that route too.  

I also met with Dr. S again and according to him, I am cured now!!!  Isn't that the best news ever!!!  It all still seems a little too good to be true but I will take it!  I still have follow ups for the next 5 years but he believes we caught it early and treated it fast and I should be just fine.  I sure hope he is right.  I still cannot believe this has happened to me but I am glad to be almost over with it.  

On the way home from my last chemo treatment, Russell and I bought ice cream and a whole bunch of toppings.  That night, we celebrated the end of this crap with the whole family. 

I know this last treatment did not necessarily mean I was healed.  I still had to deal with the lovely side effects of chemo.  This round however did not seem as bad maybe because I knew what to expect.  I was super tired as usual, the taste buds were whacked out, and my fingernails may never recover... but that was the usual.  The bad thing about this round was that we needed to travel down to St. George for some family things on my worst days.  Because of this, I developed another neutropenic fever while down there. I did not go to the ER this time because the on-call Oncologist said to just relax, go to bed, and monitor the fever to make sure it didn't go up.  I did this and by the next day the fever had gone down but I was still wiped out.  I also developed a UTI later on.  (Gotta "love" chemo...) I know I am slowly on the mend and I am glad to finally be done with this stuff!
And for your viewing pleasure, here is my cute boy modeling my scarf.  He thinks it is funny to look like Mom!

 Today is a good day. I am a survivor!

No comments: