Thursday, September 3, 2009

Millions of Peaches, Peaches for Free!

My sister, Lacie, called me on Tuesday and asked me if I wanted some peaches to make jam. I said, "Sure, but I don't know how to make jam." She told me it was way easy and gave me the recipe. So last night I was up until 3 am making peach jam! It really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be; the skinning and pitting the peaches is what took the longest. This box was half full of peaches. It took about 3 hours to skin and pit them. I am glad my sister told me how to blanch the peaches because after doing that the skins came right off. I would have been skinning forever if she hadn't taught me how to do that.
After skinning and mashing, I started cooking. I had enough peaches to do 3 1/2 batches of jam. When Lacie gave me the recipe over the phone, she told me to cook it until it boils and then continue cooking for 4 to 5 more minutes. I thought she said 45 minutes. So when I read the recipe back to her to make sure I got it right I said 45 minutes. She said, "No, no, no 4 TO 5 minutes!" We both laughed, I definitely would have burned the jam and that would not have been good. I thought 45 minutes was a long time to cook something!
The final product!! I made 4 1/2 jars of Peach Cherry jam, 4 jars of Peach Orange jam, 4 jars of Peach Raspberry jam, and 2 jars of regular Peach jam. I haven't tasted any of them yet but I am sure they will be good. Thanks Lacie for the peaches and the reciepe! Jam anyone?

2 comments:

American Homemaker said...

Looks great :) I do freezer jam then I don't have to cook or peel the peaches.

The Nielson Bunch said...

We will take one of each. ;) We have Peach days in Brigham next weekend, why don't you guys come on up and we can make more jam. :)