Monday, September 13, 2010

Applesauce

After getting home from Idaho at 1:30 am, we had to wake up early in order to get our Bountiful Basket and Russell had to go to a Trauma Conference for CME hours. This week in the basket we ordered two cases of Gala apples. The apples are so good. Emily and I spent all day Saturday at my mom's making applesauce and apple butter.
The applesauce turned out really good and it tastes great! As you can see, Emily loved the applesauce and even asked for seconds.

While my mom and I were processing the apples, we used her apple peeler. We thought it was great that we didn't have to peel the apples by hand. I peeled while my mom cut and cored. Then while I was waiting, I looked at the apple peeler box and realized that the peeler would core and cut too when you put on a certain attachment! We tried it and it worked great. We wondered why we had not done this on the first batch. The second batch of apples went a lot quicker! The apples were cut, cored, and peeled all in one swipe it was awesome.

We cooked the apples with Red Hots making them have a cinnamon flavor and then we sweetened them with sugar, nutmeg, and cloves. So good! We also made apple butter but we didn't cook it down long enough so it actually turned out to be apple cinnamon jam. Also very good. In all we made 21 quart jars of applesauce and 20 pint jars of apple butter. It was so nice to spend time with my mom and learn a little more about canning and provident living!

No comments: