Friday, September 17, 2010

Felt Mr. Potato Head

Shh... Don't tell, this is for Emily's birthday.
I found this cute pattern for Mr. Potato Head at a blog called Make It Love It at the beginning of the year but I wasn't around a printer at the time so I didn't print it out. Later, when I went back to print it (about a couple months ago) it was GONE!! I guess Hasbro or whoever makes Mr. Potato Head contacted the blogger of that site and told her she couldn't post this because it was too close to the actual Mr. Potato Head and there were copyright laws so the blogger had to delete her post. Can you believe that?! Anyway I was really bummed because I really wanted to make one for Emily. I called my friend, Trista to see if she still had her pattern from the one she made off of Make It Love It and she told me she didn't print it out either she just followed the directions off of the computer. Bummer again! Later she called me and said she had found another site where the blogger had followed the instructions off of Make It Love It and then made her own pattern and posted it on her blog. I was so excited! So if any of you want the pattern, Trista and I have taken the search out of it for you. Just go to this site at Sew Dang Cute and download the pattern.

While we were camping for a week at Fish Lake over the 24th of July, my sisters and I cut out all of the felt pieces we needed for our Potato Heads. We even cut out our own accessories including shoes, cowboy hats, purses, glasses, and earrings. It was really fun and easy. When I came home from camping, I just kind of put my Potato Head aside and forgot about it until a few days ago. I realized I better get him finished if I am going to give him to Emily for her birthday in a couple weeks. I took all my pieces and sewed, glued, and stuffed them all and put together this way cute Mr. Potato Head. I made enough pieces to have a Mr. and a Mrs. Potato Head. I might make another body later so Emily can had both but for now the Potato's gender is mixed.
I attached a little pocket to the back of my Potato to hold all of the extra pieces but once I stuffed the body I realized the pocket was a little too small. Besides that, the Velcro on all of the pieces sticks to the inside of the pocket and to the other pieces making it hard to put pieces in it so I am going to just make a little drawstring bag to put everything in.
Emily already loves it (she was there when I made it). She asked me, "That Emily's smile face?" I couldn't lie so I just said maybe.

1 comment:

The Nielson Bunch said...

It turned out really cute!!! Emily will love it. I love all the extra accessories.