Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Martin Harris Pageant

While we were up north for our Lagoon trip, Russell and I decided to travel up to Clarkston, UT to see the Martin Harris Pageant. Clarkston is right on the Utah/Idaho border about 20 miles from Logan. Russell's cousin, Calen ,was one of the actors in the pageant so we figured since we were already up north, we should go see him in the play. Clarkston was about an hour and a half from Lagoon so we headed out of Farmington at around 5:30. I really think Russell and I are losing our minds because on our way up to Clarkston, Russell realized that he had forgotten the propane bottle for our barbecuer. So the hot dogs we had planned to have for dinner when we arrived at the pageant went uneaten. Luckily I had decided to make a potato salad to accompany our hot dogs so instead we ate egg salad sandwiches for dinner.


Here we are waiting for the pageant to start. My parents rode up with us to the pageant too. One of my really good friends, Trista Neilson, lives in Logan, so when Russell and I decided to go to the pageant, I called her up and asked her is she wanted to go to the pageant with us. She said she did. Luckily she did because I forgot our pageant tickets at home with our Lagoon tickets. (I know I'm a genius) I called Trista on the way up to Lagoon and had her reprint our tickets and bring them with her to the pageant. (Thanks Trista even though I don't think we really needed tickets to get in!) It was great to see Trista and her two cute girls again. Trista's parents also went with us to the pageant.

Clarkston is the burial place for Martin Harris and in fact the amphitheater for the pageant is actually right next to the cemetery where he was buried. This pageant was all about Martin Harris's life, his conversion, and his witness of the Book of Mormon. It explains that he never doubted or denied the truthfulness of the gospel no matter what happened to him. The pageant was really good and I am glad we decided to go.


Above is the stage for the pageant which overlooks the little town of Clarkston, UT. Also here we are with Calen. He played on of the opposers of the Book of Mormon. He was part of the mob that roughed up Joseph Smith and he actually hit Martin Harris across the face during an argument. We told him he was a bad guy. Calen did really well acting in the pageant though. It was fun to watch and support him in his program. He was really surprised to see us there too.

After the pageant, we headed back to our trailer at Lagoon to get some much needed rest!

No comments: