Monday, August 15, 2011

Washington County Fair

The Washington County Fair was this weekend so we headed out to the fair ground to check out all of the excitement.

The theme of the fair this year was Rock 'n Roll. When we got to the fair, we walked through all of the exhibits and saw all of the crafts and things on display. There were some pretty nice things entered this year. Afterward we walked through the commercial booths and entered every free drawing we could. Hopefully we will win something! Actually the only things I think we will win are a few unwanted phone calls from the vendors.


Emily loved seeing all of the animals in the FFA area. She wanted to pet the goats but they wouldn't come close enough to the fence. She liked the booths especially the one that gave her a balloon, the one that gave her a necklace, and all of them that had candy.

The next day, Friday, I took Emily and Colby back to the fair because I entered them in the Cute Kid Contest. They are definitely the cutest kids in the county, at least in my eyes! During the pre-judging, Emily told the girls all about Lagoon, and her brother, and even tried to play Ring Around the Rosies with the other girl. Poor Colby was half asleep during his time because it was right during his usual nap time. He did wake up and smile at the girls though. I was a little upset at the judges in Colby's group because they wouldn't talk to or play with the babies. So of course the babies were not going to interact with them. During the time, I asked the judges if they wanted to hold Colby or was that against the rules. They said it would be fine so I handed him over. I was the only mom that did that which I kind of thought was strange. I probably got Colby disqualified because of that because he didn't get a call back. I was actually really bummed about that but Russell told me not to worry so much about it. Emily, on the other hand, did get a call back so on Saturday we headed back to the Fair for the actual competition.


Emily did great in the contest. Friday night she helped me pick out her outfit and was really excited to go to her "Contest." Russell had to work Saturday so he couldn't make it. Emily was (okay mostly I was) kind of bummed that her dad couldn't make it. She kept asking him "How come you can't come to my concert, Dad?" "Your concert or contest?" "My contest." "I have to work, sweetheart. But I know you will do a great job." (She would get concert and contest mixed up) During the contest, Emily skipped out on stage, did a little twist, and waved and bowed to the audience. She was so adorable. Then when she faced the judges, she told them her name and asked them what their names were. She was so happy.


In the end, Emily didn't end up placing but it was okay because she had a great time performing. One thing she didn't understand though was the prizes. On our way home she told me, "Mom! I forgot to get my prize from the contest!" "What prize, sweetheart?" "The one on the tables!" She had seen the trophies that were give out to the winners and she thought everyone was supposed to get one. I told her we didn't win one of those prizes but that it was okay. She was still pretty concerned about it but by the time she woke up from her nap, she had forgotten about the missing prizes.


I put a few of the things I have made into the fair this year. I got blue ribbons on everything except the two dresses I made Emily. I think the reason I got red ribbons on the dresses is because they had been worn and were faded a little. I am really excited about the bag I entered that got a blue ribbon and a Reserve Sweepstakes ribbon! When I saw that big ribbon pinned on one of my things, I was so happy. It doesn't really mean anything other than more prize money but hey it means a lot to me! I also got a Division Placement Best of Class on my Russian Dolls that I painted. I was excited to see that too. In all, I came away from the fair with $54 in prize money. Not bad, not bad. Hey it cost me $26 to go to the fair this year plus gas so I think I came out on top if not I broke even!


We had a good time at the fair!

No comments: