Saturday, September 29, 2012

Emily and Her "Tangled" Birthday

Happy Birthday Emily!  I can't believe she is already 4 years old!
Here is my cute 4 year old. 

Emily has been planning and asking about her birthday ever since the day after her third birthday last year.  She would ask pretty much everyday if it was her birthday yet.  She loves birthdays.  Every Sunday since she became a Sunbeam and came into Primary she asked the Primary Presidency if it was her birthday so the kids could sing to her and every week we tell her not yet.  When I asked her what she wanted for her birthday she told me a sucker from Primary (we give out suckers on the kids birthdays).  So finally this Sunday she got her sucker and the kids sang to her.  She was so excited. 

Emily wanted a Rapunzel birthday party with her friends and cousins so we went all out and made some fun food and decorations for the party.
I made the Tangled Sun on the cake and cute Rapunzel cupcakes with yellow coconut and licorice hair.  My favorite food decoration was the tower cake.  I think it turned out so good.  I made the tower out of mini doughnuts, a cupcake and an ice cream cone.  Then I decorated it with vines, flowers, and a long licorice braid.  Of course I mounted it on a small frying pan to tie in the movie.
I also made some fun decorations.  I braided a 15 foot yarn braid to use as a table runner.  This took me all day long to braid!  Because of all of the sweat equity put into the braid, I decided it was not getting thrown away after the party so I am using it as a decoration in Emily's new room.  I also made a purple Tangled Sun banner to hang like in the movie.  To go with the banner, I made tissue paper lanterns like the floating lanterns in the movie.  I also put up a bunch of Flynn Rider wanted posters.  Another fun addition to the party were these cute Pascal party blowers.  I put one of these in each guests' goodie bag.  The kids had a blast blowing them and making a lot of noise.

The night before the party we were busy making cakes:

Yes Emily is stirring her own birthday cake but she wanted to help.  She also helped me make the tower cake by telling me where the flowers and vines needed to be put.

On the morning of her birthday, Emily got to open two presents before heading to preschool.


The first one she opened was from Mom and Dad.  It had some new birthday clothes to wear for the day and a little white board and marker to use in preschool.  She loved them.  The next present she opened was from Paul and Alex.  Jen had sent their present in the mail and Emily had gotten it the day before her birthday.  She was so excited to get mail with her name on it.  She kept asking me if she could open it but I told her it wasn't her birthday yet.  When it finally was her birthday (the next day) she couldn't wait any more and opened it in the morning.  They sent her some fun Princess cups and hair pretties.

After playing as a family all day, it was finally party time.  While we were waiting for all of the kids to arrive, we colored pictures of Rapunzel and Flynn Rider.  Here is Emily with her friends Taryn, Trayton, Faye and Janessa:

The first game we played was "Pin the Nose on Flynn Rider."  We enlarged Flynn Rider wanted poster and took off the nose.  Then Russell drew a bunch of funny looking noses for the kids to choose from to pin on Flynn Rider. They all had fun playing.

Next we played "Duck, Duck, Goose" at the Snuggly Duckling tavern.  This was a fun game to watch and I think everyone would have played all night if we would have let them.  After everyone had a turn, we moved to the last game, Tug O' War with Rapunzel's hair.  Because we were using my prize 15 foot braid, I wouldn't let the bigger cousins play because I didn't want the braid to get ruined.  I was surprised that the girls liked playing this game more than the boys did! 

Then it was present time:
Emily got a lot of fun new toys from all of her friends and cousins.  She loved opening each present and was so excited to see what was in each one.  Colby just watched all that was going on with amazement.  He walked around holding his shirt up showing everyone is belly.

Then it was time for cake:
As you can see Emily was really excited about blowing out her four candles.  She blew with all her might.  Then we realized we needed to get her birthday on video so we lit the candles again so we could record her blowing out her four candles.  She was okay with blowing them out twice.

Everyone loved eating the cake and rainbow ice cream.  Luckily we were able to get rid of all of the cake and cupcakes so we didn't have any leftovers

After everyone had gone home and we had cleaned up all of the spilled ice cream so the ants did invade us any more than they already have, we got to look at all of Emily's loot.  She is definitely spoiled but she is worth it.  We love you Emily and are glad you are part of our family.  Happy 4th Birthday!!

No comments: