Friday, December 27, 2013

Our Crafty Side

Every year we make homemade gifts for each other.  I think they are more thoughtful than just buying something at the store.  Here are the gifts we made this year:

First is this Family Birthdays plaque I made for my mom.  I have seen these all over Pinterest and wanted to make one myself.  I had my neighbor, Bonnie Thompson, cut the vinyl lettering for me and Russell cut and sanded the board.  The hardest part about it was finding the little wooden discs and the links to link them together.  I think it turned out really good. (Except for getting Drew's birthday wrong...Sorry Drew I'll fix it...)

Next of course are our Christmas pajamas.  I found this awesome superhero flannel material at Joann's and had to get it.  The material was perfect for pajamas and the boys (well Colby) loved it.  Emily's nightgown is actually made out of a pillowcase!  This made it really easy to make because I didn't have to hem.  (I hate hemming.)  She loves nightgowns.

Next are the dress up clothes.  Emily wanted an Ariel dress/tail.  To construct this took a little bit of brain power.  She wanted it to look like a mermaid tail but still be able to walk in it.  She loves it.  The only thing Santa should have done different was use a different material for the waistband.  The seams popped after Emily had put it on and off a few times so we had to find a different material and fix the waistband.

Colby loves playing cowboys in his chaps and vest.  Santa did a great job on these too!  The chaps and vest are made out of upholstery vinyl so they should last a long time.

No Christmas would be complete without some new dolls.  These little dolls of Emily's are only about 3 inches tall and their little carrying case makes them perfect for church or travel.  And Logan got a Joseph doll like Colby's.  We need to find a new name for Logan's doll though so they done get confused.

Then, I made Colby a travel art kit complete with crayons and a notebook.  He is starting to love to color and draw so it was time he had his own art supplies.  He has had fun drawing in his book.  Best of all, the material the tote is made out of is Pirates! (Also one I found at Joann's and had to buy.)  

Last but definitely not least, Russell made these awesome stools for the boys.  They letters in their names come out and they are a puzzle.  Logan especially loves the stools and is always taking the letters out and then trying to put them back in.

So there you have it, the 2013 edition of homemade Christmas gifts.  I love how all of them turned out.  

No comments: