Monday, October 2, 2017

I'm a Survivor... Cancer Journey Part 12

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.  To do my part to raise awareness, I posted this on my Facebook page:
"As you know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Because of this, I want to share a little bit about my breast cancer journey. 


Before this year, I naively thought that breast cancer awareness was just a fun opportunity to wear pink. I mean cancer was that farthest thing from my mind as I participated in the Save a Sister fun runs wearing my pink shirts. My goal instead was a PR. Cancer happens to other people right? Not me. Then I found the lump... and on March 17, 2017 I got the dreaded news, "You have cancer." How do you deal with something like that? If you are anything like me, you cry on your husband's shoulder and hug your little kids and pray like never before.The last 7 months have been a roller coaster of emotions, and everything changed, physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. I have learned to lean on others for help, and trust in the Lord through everything. The outpouring of love from friends and family through this whole thing has been amazing! After a bilateral mastectomy, chemotherapy, losing my hair, and all the other lovely effects, I was finally, three weeks ago, given the great and wonderful news that I am a survivor. As much as I love hearing this news, I realize that cancer never really goes away. Yes the tumor was removed and yes the chemo killed any rogue cells but cancer is always going to be in the back of my mind. Any ache or weird looking mole or follow-up doctor visit or whatever is going to trigger some sort of "Oh no!" feeling that the cancer has returned. This journey is never really over but I can still overcome it by living one day at a time and enjoying every moment I have been given. I am a survivor and I am grateful God has given me more time with the ones I love.

Thankfully along with the terrible cancer news, I was given the good news that I had caught it early. I want to encourage all of you to be proactive. Do self exams! Mammograms are great and you should do them every year but if you are like me, I was considered too young to need one. Self exams are the best way to detect cancer early. You know your body and you know when something does not look or feel right. Go get it checked out. If it is nothing, you did the right thing and at least your mind will be at ease; but if it is something, you did the right thing and hopefully, like me, caught it early. This is breast cancer awareness. This is being aware of your body. It is more than just wearing pink."

I know I am one of the lucky ones and I have survived this cancer.  I am grateful everyday for that blessing in my life.  I hope I have learned what I needed to learn through this trial because I do not want to have to repeat it.  I have learned to rely on the Lord, and trust that he knows what is best for me.  I have also learned that it is okay to ask for help and it is okay to not have to do everything.  I have also come to realize even more that I have an amazing support system.  I have a wonderful husband that is the best thing in my life and great kids.  I also have amazing parents that would drop everything and come to our aid. I don't know what I would have done without any of them.  I don't know if I will ever be the same as I was before this year.  I don't think anyone is the same after going though a trial.  I hope however I can find a new normalcy and go on without fear.  I also hope my kids have learned from this as well.  I hope they have learned that they too can do hard things because they have seen me do hard things.  Not only am I a survivor, my family members are survivors too.

No comments: