Friday, July 20, 2018

Activity Days Camp

Probably one of the best callings in the church is Activity Days Leader. It is such a chill calling and the only thing you have to do is plan fun activities for these cute girls twice a month! I love it and have been the leader for almost three years. These girls are crazy most of the time and there is never a dull moment. 

This last week I was able to take them to a fun Activity Days Day Camp at the Boy Scout Camp near us called Camp Fife. It was so much fun and the girls really seemed to enjoy it too.

At the Day Camp we got to participate in a bunch of different activities.  First we started off with the Zip Line:


Each girl took their turn and then, since we still had time, they got to go again. There were some girls that were scared to zip line at first but then once they tried it, they said it was the best part of the whole day. They really loved it.

Next we moved on to the rock climbing wall.

All of the girls gave the wall a try. Some did really well and climbed clear to the top! Others made it half way and all of them had fun trying. The second picture is of Emily climbing the wall like a champ.
Our next activity was the craft station and the trading post. The girls kind of went crazy in the trading post buying a ton of candy. I told them they could not get sick while they were with me so they had to take it easy on the candy. The craft was a leather key chain that the girls could decorate with some metal stamps. They all turned out well.

Probably my favorite activity was the BB gun shooting:


The girls liked it too and some were pretty good at aiming.  I had to help most of the girls with their form and with cocking the gun but soon they got the hang of it. Then the scout leaders said that we as leaders could try it too. This was so fun because I don't think I have shot a gun in 2 years! But luckily it was a BB gun so it was pretty easy. I was able to hit all of my targets which is great for me because in Hunter's Safety, I couldn't hit anything. It was pretty fun. I kind of like the picture of me shooting because it makes me look tough even though it is a BB gun...

By this time it was time for lunch. It was a pretty hot day so we were glad to be in the shade and cooling off a little. 

Then it was back to the fun. Next was archery.



This was a little more tricky than BB gun shooting. You really had to have good form and I did not have that. I think I only made a few arrows even hit the target. Emily was doing pretty well and hit a few targets as well. It was fun to learn a new sport. We did have a couple of girls that were really good and they even hit the bull's-eye on the target. Whitney and Maylin were the champion archers today.
Next we learned about fishing and practiced casting out fishing poles. Then we moved on to another fun activity of BMX bike riding.

This was really fun for the girls. They were able to ride the bikes around this dirt track full of jumps and turns. They all had a good time even though it was super hot. This really reminded me of when I was a kid and riding bikes with my friends. We rode everywhere especially in the desert and dirt hills above our houses. We rode dirt trails and jumps like this all the time.

Before moving on to our next event, the girls wanted to get sprayed by the hose near the obstacle course. They got soaked and loved it because it helped them cool off from the heat.

Finally our last event was tying knots and our nature walk. Luckily I knew how to tie the knots the boy was trying to teach us because I had to help the girls because he was not a very good teacher. But we learned the square knot and the double half hitch.  Then he took us on the nature walk and helped us use identify a bunch of different plants.
Finally we ended the day with a flag ceremony. 

The theme of the Day Camp was Nintendo or something like that so we got to see Mario, Luigi, and Princess Peach. The girls had a good time posing for a picture with them. 

We all had a great Day Camp day.

No comments: