Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas Activities...

I am kind of behind on blogging because we have been working on a lot of different Christmas projects and gifts so I here is a run down of what we have been doing over the past few weeks.


First, on December 4, Emily and I went to the Dickens festival with Russell's mom and sister, Traci. It was a lot of fun and I got a lot of cute ideas for crafts to make over the next year. Also, as I was walking through all of the booths, I was thinking to myself "I can make all of this stuff. I should do a booth next year and make some money on this stuff." I have actually been thinking this for a long time but I don't really know where to start my business and I am afraid I will spend all this money making stuff and then not sell any of it. I guess that is the risk you take on a business. Who knows, we will see. Any way, at the Dickens Festival, Emily was getting really board of riding in the stroller so I let her walk if she held someones hand.
While she was walking, she saw a booth selling sunglasses. She grabbed two pairs of glasses handed one to Traci and had me help her put a pair on and then said, "Picture mom!" She wanted me to take a picture of her and Traci in their cool glasses! She is funny and loves pictures. She wouldn't go see Santa there though because that is too scary.


Next, on December 8, we decorated our Gingerbread house. The kit had been sitting on our table for about a week and Emily kept asking me if we could open it yet but we would get busy and not do it. Finally, we did open it and decorate our house. Emily had a blast playing with all of the candy. I had the candy separated into different bowls and Emily kept pouring the candy from one bowl to another over and over until all of the candy was mixed together and half on it was on the floor.
Our finished house! We actually got this Gingerbread house kit 2 years ago from our home teachers but we never put it together and then last year we forgot we even had it so when we moved this year we found it and decided we better put it together before we forget about it again. Because it was so old, the icing was rock hard so I made Russell squeeze it out of the bag to decorate the house. Also, because it was old, the smell of the gingerbread was so strong we were practically getting high off of the fumes so I had to open the doors to allow some fresh air in. Other than that, the house turned out really good and Emily loved helping me put the candy on the house.

Next, on December 9, Terral and I went to the mall to get some stuff at Hallmark and while we were there, we decided to go see Santa. Emily was okay until she realized we were standing in line to see Santa and she got right out of line and walked away. She did not want to see this strange and scary guy again! She would not even walk near him. She did want the coloring book he was giving out though so she not so willingly let Terral carry her up to him to get the book.
This is the best picture I could get of her and Santa. It was as close as she would let Terral take her. She hates seeing Santa; he is too scary! Even seeing Chrislyn sit on his lap would not change her mind.
December 10 was my work Christmas party. This year we went to see The Lion King at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.
The show was awesome!! I have been wanting to see it for a long time so I was glad that we decided to go as an office this year. The show basically followed the Disney movie but had some Vegas twists as well as some new songs and things. My favorite part of the show though were the costumes. The lions, the deer, the giraffes, and all of the other animals were really cool. My favorite costumes were the huge elephant that walked right by us at the beginning of the show and the Pumbaa costume. The Pumbaa costume was great because the guy wearing it had humongous Mohawk like hair! The show was great and maybe someday when we are rich we will take Emily to it because she would love it too. That night we stayed at the Excalibur hotel and then after a day of shopping we drove home. This was Emily's first time having a sleepover at Grandma's and my mom said she did really good. She didn't even cry or miss us. She just played with Papa and said "My mom and dad will be back later." She loved it!
The next day, December 11, Russell had is work Christmas party. We had dinner and an ugliest Christmas attire contest. Let me tell you there were some great (or should I say U.G.L.Y.) Christmas outfits and sweaters worn to this party. We left before they announced the winner but they all tied in my eyes.
While there, they had a Twister game set up for the kids to play on. Emily had fun playing with Russell and the other kids. She especially liked spinning the spinner and announcing the colors. She wanted to take the spinner home when we left and couldn't understand why we wouldn't let her.
Finally, last Sunday for Family Home Evening, our whole family made around 10 fleece blankets to donate to the Kony Coins for Kids. We did this last year too and we had a good time so we wanted to do it again this year. So today, December 12, for Family Home evening we went and delivered all of the blankets to on the the Coins for Kids chairman, Randy Stowe.
Here are some of us with Randy giving him the blankets. These blanket will go to the children that don't have blankets or things to keep them warm. It really helps us understand how fortunate we are that we have a warm house to live in and the means to provide for ourselves. We are truly blessed.

This next picture doesn't really have anything to do with Christmas but it is a funny picture.
Everyday before I go to work, I go and check on Emily. Well this is what I found the other day! She was totally sprawled out handing off the side of the bed even the little railing on her bed and sound asleep like it was the most comfortable position to be in. I couldn't help but laugh and take a picture!
Well we have been looking at houses to buy lately and we have finally found one we like and can afford. With interest rates down, we figured it was the time to buy. We have been approved for a loan and the sellers have accepted out offer so now all we have to do is get the appraisal and inspection done and a few other things and we can close on the home by the middle of January! The house is actually a really good deal. It is a 3 bed/2 bath home with a good sized completely fenced yard with plenty of room for our camp trailer and four-wheelers. It is even right next door to my Grandma! and not only that the monthly payment will actually be less than we are paying for rent right now and that includes the taxes and insurance! With that being the case, we are fools to keep renting. So if all works out, we will be HOMEOWNERS in one month! Can you believe how big we are getting?! I'll keep you posted on the process and outcome...

No comments: