Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Still Waiting for Baby Apple...

Here it is March 2 and we still have no baby! The thing that is so frustrating is that you look forward to this magical due date for nine months and then when it passes and still nothing for 4 days, you start to get a little nervous like is something wrong with me or the baby? My nerves are about shot! Well I went to the doctor yesterday hoping he would just tell me to go over to Labor and Delivery to have the baby but no all he did was make me more nervous. When he checked the heartbeat he said he thought it was a little slower than it should be so he had me hooked up to a monitor for about 20 minutes to monitor the baby's heartbeat and movements. Afterward he looked at the results and said that everything looked okay and the heartbeat was lower because boys usually have a slower heart rate than girls. He said everything else looked normal and that the baby just wasn't ready to come yet. Then instead of saying let's go deliver this baby, he scheduled an induction for Friday, March 4. So I got to go home worried about everything and wishing I could just have the baby right now so I would know everything was okay. Well I can still feel the baby moving around and so that is a good sign and I guess we will have to wait until Friday to finally hold Baby Apple. In the meantime, here are a few of the projects I have been working on during the last month:
First, we needed somewhere to put all of the baby's things so my co-worker was getting rid of this dresser and gave it to us. The handles were black but Russell painted them blue to match the baby's crib blankets. I think it turned out good and there is a lot of room for all of the baby's clothes and blankets.
Next a car seat cover and decorative wipes cases. These were really easy to make and turned out pretty good. I loved the tools material for the car seat cover. I am also really glad that we can use the same car seat we used for Emily so we didn't have to buy a new one. (Another benefit of buying generic things for our first child!) Luckily the car seat doesn't expire until the end of 2012 so we will get double use out of it. The wipes cases are just fun and add a little personality to the regular old boring wipe cases.
Next I made a couple of portable changing pads. When Emily was a baby, I just used her blanket to change her diaper if we were out and about but it never seemed to fail, especially when she was really little, that if she had a poopy diaper it would always get on her blanket. Now I don't have to worry about that because these changing pads have a vinyl side that is easily cleaned by a baby wipe! I used a new product I found (well it's not new just new to me). It is called iron-on vinyl. Like interfacing, you can iron it onto any fabric and you turn your fabric into plastic!
Next are these way cute baby shoes. They turned out a little bigger than I thought they would because the pattern said 0-6 months but they are still way cute and it is okay because now they will fit him longer. My favorite ones are the doggie ones. I might make some more of these later. Of course if you have a baby you have to have a diaper bag. I actually made this out of a kit I found at JoAnn's. It is also reversible. I tried to be creative and sew little net pockets on the sides for bottle holders but they ended being way too small because I should have used pleats in the netting to make them bigger. Oh well they are perfect size for a pacifier or some toys so they are not completely useless. I also added a snap so it can close.
And of course I had to make a bunch of receiving blankets and matching burp cloths. I loved picking out boy material and I realized there are a lot more girl prints than boy but I found some cute ones anyway. As you can see, I had a heyday making blankets. Then, when I was getting out all of my other baby stuff from Emily, I realized I have a lot more blankets I can use (another benefit to making generic things). Now I have about a million receiving blankets, okay maybe only about 20! So I will not be running out of receiving blankets or burp cloths anytime soon!
I also made this handy nursing cover. The hardest part about nursing was when the baby would get hunger when we were out. I hated nursing in public and Emily hated having blankets hide her so she would constantly pull them down or scream until I took it off. So hopefully, this baby will be different and if not this nursing cover has straps that prevent the baby from pulling it off.
What do you make for girls to dress them up for church or anytime; bows and pretty dresses and other accessories. But what do you do for boys to dress them up for church? You put ties on them! I appliqued these ties on long sleeved onesies so that the little boy would be dressed up for church.
Finally, I made a fun sock rattle and matching "Big Sister" and "Little Brother" t-shirts. The sock rattle is really soft and I am sure the baby will just chomp on its ears. While I was making all of this stuff, Emily would "help" me by playing with the pins as I sewed. She kept asking me if these things were for her and I would say "No they are for Baby Apple." I think she was starting to feel left out so I decided to make her something too. When I made her her "Big Sister" shirt she was really excited that I had made something for her finally.
We just got this new Sit N Stand stroller too so we can push around both kids. Emily loves it and is constantly playing on it wanting us to push her around. Here she is waiting patiently for Baby Apple to arrive so we can go for a walk with our new stroller. I hope he gets here soon because we are all waiting and waiting. For now, we are looking forward to Friday... Please stay tuned to meet Baby Apple...

3 comments:

~HIGGINS~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~HIGGINS~ said...

Tiffany you are so crafty and talented. I made a few things for my baby, but you came up with some way cute stuff for your baby. Darling! Hope you get to meet the little guy soon.

The Nielson Bunch said...

Super cute baby items!! Love them. Don't worry the little one will come when he is ready and don't worry about being induced. I had to with my second. We are excited to see pictures of the little man.:)