Friday, December 28, 2012

Emily's Quilt

I have finally finished my first big quilt!  I made this quilt for Emily and her new bed in her new room.  I love how it turned out.

This quilt was actually pretty easy to make and once I finally got all the fabric cut out to the right sizes (which takes the most time!) the quilt top only took me about a week to put together.  After getting it together, it was time to find someone to quilt it for me.  I didn't want to spend a lot of money getting it quilted but I wanted someone that would do a good job too.  Finally I remembered one of my friends from the 4th ward in St. George, Ashlee Christiansen, had a quilting machine.  Her husband is a full-time fire fighter so at the St. George Fire Christmas party I asked her if she still did quilts and if she wanted to do mine.  She said yes and I took the quilt to her the next day.  All I really told her was that I wanted it to look nice and she went to work.  About a week later, she told me it was done.  I loved how it turned out and Ashlee did a great job quilting it.  She outlined the butterflies, and did some way cute flowers around the outside border.  She also used variegated colored quilting thread to tie all of the colors together.  All I had left to do is bind it. 

I also made a pillow sham and valance to match the quilt. These things made the final touches to Emily's new room.  Here are the final pictures of the room:

I love all of the colors and I love how they all tie the room together.  I couldn't forget the baby bed.  I used one of the left over 12 x 12 squares to make a little matching quilt for the baby bed too.  I can't say enough that I love how this room and this quilt turned out.  It is fun to decorate and Emily loves her new room and invites everyone that comes over to see it.  I am glad she likes it because there was definitely a lot of work put into everything in it.

No comments: