Monday, April 11, 2011

Fun with Food

I found this website that gives a bunch of really good recipes. It is called Our Best Bites and I love it! I even signed up for their e-mail list so all of their new recipes with come straight to my e-mail. Cooking is really the only thing I have tried to do right now with two kids so after browsing through their huge list of recipes, I picked a couple that sounded really good to make and tried them out and let me tell you they were all great. Emily loves helping me in the kitchen and even gets out her toy spatula, whisk, and rolling pin to help me make everything. She is so funny. Whatever utensil I am using, she runs into her room and gets the exact same one out of her kitchen and brings it in to help. She say "I have one like you does! I wanna help you." So I let her stir the batter or whatever I am making. She loves it. One fun recipe she really had fun with was making Dinosaur Eggs! Every time I would say Dinosaur Eggs she would roar. These eggs were fun to make and it got us in practice for when we dye eggs for Easter. After we boiled the eggs, we cracked them a little and put them in colored water and then put them in the fridge for a few hours. The recipe actually say to leave them in over night but we got impatient and only left them in until Russell got home from work because Emily wanted to show him what we made (and because I needed to use the eggs for dinner!)


Look at our cool Dinosaur Eggs! I think if we would have left them in the dye longer they would be more colorful but Emily thought they were cool anyway. We actually made 7 dinosaur eggs but I used the other 4 to make a yummy dinner of Egg Salad BLT's. They were so good! It is definitely one dinner to do again; Emily even ate her whole sandwich. It was kind of weird eating a green or blue egg in a sandwich though.

I also tried their Orange-Kissed Cookies. These cookies were amazing! They were like fluffy orange clouds with icing. I will also be making these again but probably not until Colby is older. Unfortunately, these wonderful balls of citrusy goodness did not agree with his stomach and left the poor little guy all gassed up with nowhere to go. Emily loved them though especially the icing. She liked to lick all of the icing off and then leave the cookie. She does that with everything. She likes to fiddle with the middle on any thing she can. She opens sandwich cookies like Oreos and will only eat the cream filling. She even does this with her peanut butter sandwiches. She will open her sandwich, use her finger to lick off all of the jam and peanut butter, and then we have to remind her she has to eat the bread too. I don't know how to break her of this. I can just see her at lunch in school opening her sandwich and licking out the middle and then getting made fun of... What do I do? Anyway, back to the cookies... They were great and everyone needs to try them.

I had two zucchinis left over from my Bountiful Basket that I needed to use so I tried OBB's Chocolate Zucchini Bread. It was the best zucchini bread ever! It reminded me of those big chocolate muffins you get at Costco. The best part is that the bread is made with a vegetable so it has to be healthy, right! Another one to make again sometime but once again the chocolate was not such a good idea for Colby's belly...

Another recipe I want to try soon is their recipe for Beignets like in Princess and the Frog. Emily's favorite movie is Princess and the Frog and every time we watch it, I want to try the Beignets (ben-yeas) Tiana makes. When I found this recipe, I was way excited. But then, when I found out you have to fry them like scones I was kind of mad. I hate the smell of hot grease in my house because it lasts forever; which is one reason I don't like cooking bacon. I really want to make these Beignets though so I will have to have Russell bring out the Camp Chef and Dutch Oven so I can make them outside where the smell won't bother me. I'll let you know how they turn out.

This story doesn't have anything to do with new recipes but it does have to do with food and I didn't want to create a new post. It never fails that anytime we set down to eat dinner, Colby feels left out and wants to eat too. So he bawls while I scarf down my food so I can go feed him. This usually leaves poor Emily to fend for herself and feed herself if Russell is not around. The other night, I was feeding Colby in the front room and asked Emily (in the kitchen) if she was eating her dinner. She didn't answer and so I asked again then when she didn't answer again I said "Emily?" Then I went into the kitchen and this is what I found... Emily had fallen asleep while she was eating! I thought it was so funny I had to take a picture of it.

1 comment:

The Nielson Bunch said...

I also found this website a few weeks a go and love it!! I love their popcorn. Your pictures are super cute. What cute kids!!